Hamad Medical Corporation
To fulfill the responsibilities above, the Charge Nurse, in collaboration with nursing personnel and members of other disciplines, engages in the following activities:
- Provides guidance for and supervision of personnel accountable to the Charge Nurse.
- Coordinates nursing services with the services of other health care disciplines.
- Assumes responsibility for staffing and scheduling personnel. Assignments reflect appropriate utilization of personnel.
- Fosters a climate conducive to education experiences for nurses and students
- Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of care
- Accepts organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Assures appropriate orientation, education, and continuing professional development for personnel
1. Serves as clinical resource and role model/mentor in the delivery of patient care.
- Acts as a clinical resource in assessing complex patient care needs/ situations and determining interventions.
- Demonstrates clinical knowledge in aspects of care provided to patients on specific unit.
- Maintains and demonstrates clinical competence.
- Acquires, maintains current knowledge in clinical and administrative practice.
- Collaborates with physicians and all disciplines at all level in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services.
- Collaborates with providers of nursing/patient care within the delivery system for provision of seamless delivery of care.
- Promotes and understands effective use of organization, management, and nursing theories and research.
- Provides leadership in critical thinking, conflict management, and problem solving.
- Recommends alternative approaches to maximize patient outcome potential.
- Anticipates, recognizes and manages emergent/unsafe situations and initiates interventions.
- Assesses quality of patient care practices and care through data and provides feed back to improve outcomes.
2. Promotes the development of clinical skills of the Staff nurse orientee, trainee and Students.
- Completes performance evaluation in a timely manner.
- Provides professional guidance to staff through example and education.
- Works closely with registered staff to assess level of functioning/competency/customer satisfaction skills.
- Fosters a climate conducive to educational experiences for orientees and students.
- Assures appropriate orientation, education, and continuing professional development of students/orientees.
- Acts as a preceptor to new employees during orientation period.
3. Participates in the Performance Improvement process to improve patient outcomes
- Monitors compliance with and recommends changes to ensure compliance with corporate Policy and Procedure, Nursing standards and Nursing Policies and Procedures.
- Advocates organizational processes that allow for creativity in the development of alternative plans for achieving desired client – centered, cost – effective outcome.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal aspects of patient care and nursing practice.
- Monitors practice of all disciplines to ensure function within scope of practice and the professional standards of practice.
- Assists in the implementation of an effective, ongoing program to measure, assess and improve the quality of care delivered to patients.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement activities and Performance Improvement Teams.
- Monitors and reports results of Performance Improvement activities in Collaboration with the Head Nurse.
- Assists in problem identification, data collection and the development of action plans to improve performance.
- Complies with Performance Improvement Team’s recommendations.
- Assists in the development of hospital wide and unit based Policies and Procedures related to patient care plans, patient assessment, patient/family education and continuum of care.
- Well–versed in corporate Policies and Procedures, Nursing standards, and Nursing Policies/ Procedures
4. Assists in management of the patient care unit
- Effectively and professionally performs problem-solving activities.
- Assists and supports staff in developing and maintaining competency.
- Accepts accountability for services provided to patients.
- Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of care.
- Coordinates nursing service with the services of other health care disciplines.
- Actively participates in Unit based meetings and planning sessions.
5. Demonstrates working knowledge of resource consumption.
- Accurately uses staffing matrix and adjusts staffing mix to reflect the needs of the patients.
- Completes monthly schedule and daily staffing sheets.
- Monitors appropriate use of supplies
6. Maintains knowledge base related to customer service and customer satisfaction.
- Practices professional communication and customer service skills with all customer groups.
- Guides staff on customer service principles.
- Meets patient needs without delay.
- Implements measures to modify pain and influence comfort with minimum delay.
- Performs nursing procedures and professional activities within the allotted or accepted time frame.
- Documents and communicates patient care data to others on a continual basis.
7. Provides in-services and staff development programs for patient care services staff.
- Encourages staff to develop areas of special clinical interest through reading articles seminars and then presenting information to staff.
- Provides staff education on Nursing standards and scope of practice.
- Educates and monitors compliance with new equipment, infection control and safety.
8. Assumes responsibility for coordination of new employee orientation and provides unit specific orientation.
- Implement orientation program.
- Assesses current level of competency.
- Monitors performance of new employee.
- Acts as a preceptor during orientation program.
9. Reports for scheduled shift on time and prepared to assume responsibilities.
- Reports to work in proper uniform or attire.
- Leaves for meal break on time and returns on time.
- Varies work schedule to meet the needs of the department.
- Ensures all overtime has been approved by the department head prior to working.
- Schedules all time off with supervisor’s approval.
- Strictly adheres to hospital attendance/tardiness policies 100% of the time.
10. Attends and participates in meetings and is responsible for information communicated at meetings.
- Attends all hospital mandatory in-services on a timely basis as scheduled.
- Participates as an active team member at staff meetings.
- Reads communications and acts upon it in a positive and informative manner.
- Is an active participant in assigned Performance Improvement Teams.
11. Adheres to Corporate, hospital and departmental policy and procedure 100% of the time.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding patient/employee/facility/corporate information 100% of the time.
- Accepts change as an opportunity for growth, learning and development; adapts to changing procedures and goals in cooperative and positive manner.
- Understands that compliance with corporate standards is a condition of employment and violation of any principle or practices will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
12. Assists all patients, family members, physicians, visitors and employees in a professional and courteous manner.
- Acts in a courteous, sensitive and professional manner towards all patients, visitors, physicians, and fellow employees.
- Assists in maintaining an atmosphere of cooperation with other departments and allied professionals.
- Demonstrates respect and cooperation in all staff relationships, and a genuine willingness to prevent or resolve inter – personal conflicts.
- Demonstrates the ability to participate in and/or implement team decisions.
- Actively participates in and encourages actions that promote good public relations with patients’ families, visitors and the community.
- Works together in a spirit of teamwork.
13. Adheres to the following environmental care standards.
- Demonstrates adequate knowledge of Safety Policies and Procedures, the use of MSDS sheets, hazardous material procedures, and Safety Codes.
- Demonstrates adequate knowledge of Security issues, i.e. personal protection, protection of personal and hospital property.
14. Follows Infection Control procedures at all times.
- Strictly adheres to Standard Precautions at all times as applicable.
- Washes hands and other skin surfaces with soap and water thoroughly and immediately if contaminated with blood or other body fluids and before and after patient contact.
- Disposes of sharps in puncture resistant boxes
- Uses appropriate barriers precautions when participating in invasive procedures. Wears gloves, goggles, and surgical masks for certain procedures as per infection control policy.
- Ensures that all specimens of blood and body fluids are put in a well – constructed container with a secure lid to prevent leaking during transport and places specimen containers in biohazardous coded plastic bag for transport.
- Adheres to isolation procedures and techniques at all times as applicable.
15. Demonstrate the ability to adapt to varied age – specific patient populations
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of normal growth and development of all age groups (neonate, infant, toddler, pre-school child, school child, adolescent, young, middle and older adults).
- Modifies data collection methods to adequately assess the holistic needs and treatment responses of a specific age group.
- Determines nursing interventions that will meet the developmental needs of a specific age group.
16. Enhances Patient Care potential through utilization and appreciation of effective management skills
- Ensures that patients and family/significant others are provided with appropriate information and reassurance prior to medical and nursing interventions.
- Ensures that the patient’s physical and psycho-social needs are met with minimum delay.
- Ensures that he/she is aware of his/her role and responsibilities as stated in the HMC Disaster Plan.
- Ensures that the patient’s right of confidentiality, privacy, dignity and self –respect are maintained at all times.
- Ensures that documentation of patient care is done in accordance with the Nursing Standard Policies and Procedures.
17. Is prepared to meet all crisis situations in a calm therapeutic manner
- Knows the crash cart status and location at all times. Adheres to standards for checking and replenishing the crash cart when assigned.
- Identifies emergency drugs and their location on the crash cart. Knows their use side effects.
- Identifies equipment and explains its proper use and application.
- Initiates CPR correctly and without delay.
- Accurately document events on code sheet.
Educational Qualifications & Certificates:
Minimum 3 years Nursing Diploma after High school
Associate degree in Nursing in Qatar with completion of the Internship program in Nursing Education and Research Department
Bachelors Degree in Nursing or equivalent
Valid Nursing License from the Country of Origin AND be eligible for license in the SCH state of Qatar
ILS / PLS / APLS / ACLS preferred but will be offered as relevant as part of orientation
One year supervisory or management experience in a relevant clinical speciality plus
Three years Clinical experience in a clinically relevant specialty
English – reading, writing, spoken – proficient
Arabic (Preferred but not essential)
Basic Competencies Common Leadership and Professional Competencies
Articulates and effectively disseminates the mission and vision in conjunction with operational planning linked to organizational strategic priorities.
Demonstrates efficient utilization of organizational systems and processes. (Evidence: i.e. ORACLE, ANSOS and recruitment files.)
Demonstrates financial awareness through the effective utilization of resources. (Evidence: i.e. leave planning, sick leave management/overtime.)
Conducts regular documented meetings with the team, demonstrating effective communication which is culturally appropriate.
Delegate effectively to promote autonomy and decision making.
Demonstrate the ability to organize and be accountable for own time management.
Demonstrates effective staff performance management. (evidence: i.e. performance appraisals, counseling)
Demonstrates appropriate use of chain of command
Ensures that nursing unit goals are driven by the organizational goals.
Leads and demonstrates the provision of safe, patient and family focused care in accordance with Nursing Care delivery model.
Facilitates the staff to understand scope of service and standards of care.
Facilitates clinical ideas for improvement through issue referral.
Articulates & understands unit specific clinical data.
Disseminates and communicates clinical data to ensure staff awareness (audits, trends/prevalence in the unit)
Conducts unit(s) rounds.
Facilitates resources needed for patient and family education.
Identifies and addresses unit clinical issues.
Initiates and responds to incidents raised through the Safety Reporting System.
Maintains staff awareness of emergency responses (i.e. Disaster Call, Fire Drills and Codes) and updating emergency staff call back system is in place.
Participates and/or leads in organizational emergency drills
Ensures team is appropriately skilled and competent in area of expertise; reflected in staff files and ANSOS.
Develops staff awareness and reinforces compliance with policies, protocols, procedures and standards.
Establishes/ participates/ maintains multidisciplinary / interdisciplinary collaborative practice meetings.
Research & Evidence based practice:
Participates in Evidenced Based Practice projects.
Demonstrates and articulates understanding of evidenced based practice
Promotes integration of the application of evidence to achieve best practice in the area of expertise.
Fosters a learning environment conducive to professional development.
Ensure required staffs privileges are met in collaboration with CNC/NC and documented in the employees file.
Evaluates and updates Unit Educational Plan with CNC/NC, CI and unit council, in conjunction with Education Coordinator.
Promotes and supports professional development through individualized career planning.
Presents in-service annually.
Promotes positive orientation and preceptoring process through support.
Develops and sustains personal and professional knowledge/skills, maintaining a professional portfolio.