Graduate Registered Midwife
Hamad Medical Corporation
Al Khor, Qatar
This job description should be read in conjunction with the HMC Registered Midwife Scope of Practice, HMC Code of Leadership Behaviours and the HMC Code of Professional Behaviour and Ethics for Nurses and Midwives.
Graduate Registered Midwives are responsible to a Charge Midwife and Head Midwife to provide professional, quality woman-centred care according to HMC’s standards.
To fulfil the responsibilities above, the Graduate Registered Midwife, in collaboration with nursing personnel and members of other disciplines, engages in the following activities:
- Provides skilled safe, holistic, culturally competent, woman-centred care to families, community and society, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Provides direct care for women and the newborn in a variety of settings to include the hospital, home, clinics, primary health care units and the community.
- Provides safe, responsive and compassionate care and support for the woman and her family to promote normal birth.
- Provides guidance for and supervision of personnel accountable to the Graduate Registered Midwife.
- Coordinates midwifery services with the services of other health care disciplines.
- Fosters a climate conducive to the educational experiences for midwives, nurses and students.
- Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of care.
- Accepts organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Accepts accountability for own actions and decision-making and for the related outcome.
- Functions at all times in accordance with legislative, regulatory and policy guidelines relevant to registered midwifery practice.
- Maintains and demonstrates clinical competence in all aspects of care provided to women.
- Undertakes the appropriate emergency measures within her sphere of practice in the absence of the doctor.
- Develops, implements, evaluates, revises and provides input to the woman’s plan of care.
- Administers medications and therapies in a safe, timely and effective manner in accordance with HMC policy.
- Utilises effective communication skills to ensure that other members of the health care team, the woman and their family are and remain fully informed.
Exhibits leadership qualities and manages midwifery care competently, efficiently and ethically.
- Ensures midwifery practice meets organizational quality and safety standards and guidelines and participates in continuous quality improvement.
- Maintains and promotes customer satisfaction through effective customer service.
- Delegates and provides supervision to team members according to their competence and scope of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to the development of other members in the healthcare team, as well as women, families, community and society.
- Assumes responsibility for own professional development through lifelong learning and maintains a professional portfolio that includes evidence of continued competence and improvement within midwifery to ensure continued competence and performance improvement.
- Provides information to the woman and her family in relation to maintaining and optimizing health and maximizing self-care.
- Applies best available evidence to support clinical reasoning, decision making and safe practice.
- Utilises data systems to enhance the quality and delivery of woman-centred care.
- Promotes research, evaluation and audits to improve healthcare practice and disseminates findings to colleagues, women and their families.
Educational Qualifications & Certificates
- Bachelor of Science in Midwifery or equivalent health related degree and postgraduate education leading to, or in addition to, valid midwifery license that meets the requirements for licensing in the State of Qatar.
- Valid nursing license from the country of origin AND be eligible for license in the Supreme Council for Health State of Qatar
- Relevant life support/resuscitation certificates preferred, but there will opportunity to undertake as part of orientation
- Valid driver’s license (HHCS only)
- A minimum of 2 years recent clinical experience in midwifery
- With the exception of BSM graduates of University of Calgary-Qatar, and BSM graduates of selected Universities who are participants in the HMC nurse residency/internship scheme.
- Able to repair episiotomies
- Able to undertake venipuncture and cannulation
- Familiar with alternative positions in labour
- English – reading, writing, spoken – proficient (essential)
- Arabic (preferred)
- Competent IT skills that enable online literature searching, and presentation of feedback/learning to peers using powerpoint and/or word programs.