King Abdulaziz Medical City - Jeddah
National Guard Health Affairs
Situated approximately 30 km south of Jeddah and 55 km from Makkah, the National Guard King Khalid Hospital is a 531 bed modern facility providing hospital and health care services to Saudi Arabian National Guard soldiers and their dependents.
This facility, includes the new King Abdulaziz Oncology Center, which is the primary oncology research and treatment center for the National Guard in Saudi Arabia. The hospital also has a satellite 60-bed Transitional Care Unit, the Dar Al Amman Charity Center, which is located in downtown Jeddah. Other services provided for the catchment population are: Medical, Surgical, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Labor and Delivery, Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for Adult, Pediatric and Neonatal Services, Coronary Care Unit (CCU), Emergency Room, Operating Rooms, VIP Wards, Day Center to include Ambulatory Surgery, and several Primary Health Care clinics spread over the Western Region.
This is is one of the most modern facilities in Jeddah, delivering a high standard of patient care in the following areas:
- General Surgery and Urology
- Internal Medicine
- Paediatrics, NICU, PICU, SCBU
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- ICU, CCU
- Continuing Care
- Renal Dialysis
- Oral Surgery
In addition, there is an active Outpatient Department functioning 5 days a week, a busy theatre complex and a 24 hour Accident and Emergency Department. There are also separate VIP clinics and waiting areas for Royal Family members and important personages. Two satellite clinics offer primary Guard housing compounds.
Staff are required to work 42.5 hours per week exclusive of lunch breaks. The normal core of working hours is 08:00-18:00 Saturday-Tuesday and 08:00-17:00 Wednesday. Ward staff work a 12 hour shift pattern rotating days and nights either 07:00-19:00 or 19:00-07:00 with 3 days off per week and 2 weekends off per month. Saudi Arabian weekends are Thursday and Friday.
Uniforms are provided on arrival. Uniforms consist of white trousers and tunic top for females, and white trousers and a jacket for males. Duty shoes are not provided and should be purchased by the employee. These are readily available from any of the souqs in Jeddah. However, if you have a preference for a particular brand of duty shoe it is advisable to bring a supply from home.
As the hospital is a military facility, security is an important consideration. All staff and dependents are issued with an I.D. badge which must be carried at all times and produced on request. Security staff are also empowered to enforce the rules and regulations of the hospital and of The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Islamic culture requires that all staff conform to modest dress standards. For females this means loose fitting clothes that cover the arms and legs and for males this means avoiding shorts in public places, long hair and jewelry. Female staff are requested to wear an abaya (a loose fitting black wrapover available in Kingdom) when attending the hospital out of uniform and in public places.
Jeddah is hot and humid all year with temperatures reaching over 100 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer months of June, July and August. It is recommended that you bring clothes made from natural fibers such as cotton or linen. Shorts and T-shirts are acceptable attire at private beach complexes, at the pool side and within sports facilities. Staff are reminded, however, that appropriate clothing should be worn when traveling to and from the facility. Although dress at most functions is casual, it is advisable to bring a supply of evening wear with you as there will be occasions when you will want to dress formally.
Message to All Potential Recruits
Working and living in The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia can be both difficult and frustrating at times. It is essential to come equipped with an open mind, a sense of humour, and a positive attitude. You must be prepared to give yourself time to assimilate to the new culture, the new environment and to give yourself time to make new friends.
The financial rewards of working in a country with no taxation whatsoever are well known and the advantages of free accommodation and utilities should be acknowledged.
Working in The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will permit rare insight into the customs, culture and traditions of a very private, very conservative people.
Lifestyle restrictions are mitigated by the comfort of living in a safe, stable environment where crime is rare and offenders brought to swift and sure justice.
All new staff will be given full orientation to the hospital and the culture and will have the opportunity to attend a basic Arabic Language course.
Working in The Kingdom will prove to be an unforgettable experience where new friends are made and new challenges met. We look forward to having you with us.
Working in Saudi Arabia offers a unique opportunity to work with a multicultural group of skilled and devoted professionals. Nursing services currently have approximately 3, 000 Nursing and non-Nursing positions comprising personnel from over 44 different nationality bases across the globe. This nationality multiplicity reflects the diversity in culture and clinical skills within nursing services. Joint Commission International (JCI) standards of care and practice have been adopted as the unifying standard.
Hospital's culture promotes a distinguished positive working environment of life long learning for nurses, students, and other health care providers, focusing on continuous quality initiatives, evidence based practice and research. As a result there are many resources available to our nurses in terms of `on the floor' support. Each specialty area has its own Clinical Resource Nurse who is employed especially to support and facilitate staff learning and skill building. We are committed to career advancement, recruitment and retention of expert resources, and promotion of state of the art technology and nursing informatics.
We strive to establish and maintain dynamic academic settings that lead to the most attractive career opportunities in nursing by providing a broad range of educational programs e.g.
- BLS, PALS, ACLS, PHTLS, ATLS, ATCN, FCCS, and Disaster Management... these courses are internationally certified. They are taken through the Post Graduate Training Center, for a price (approx 50 pounds sterling).
- Within Nursing Education we offer several courses free of charge... preceptorship, teaching and assessing nursing students, haemodynamics, and the Emergency Nursing Certificate - the latter at diploma / Bachelor's / Master's level - these are all credited by California Nursing Board. South Bank and the Saudi Council as well as our own University will pick up the Emergency Nursing Course.
- A yearlong diploma in nursing and education management - which our employees can access, for a price.
- We also offer Monash Masters in Nursing - modular series, and the nurses pay for each module
Contracts are for one year, with a sign on bonus equivalent to one-month salary if you re-contract. Other benefits include:
- Tax Free Salary (every thing in KSA is tax free)
- Able to Save the Majority of Your Salary
- Yearly Service Award (Re-contracting Bonus)
- Provision of Furnished Housing
- Yearly Round Trip ticket to Point of Hire
- Free Medical Coverage
- Opportunity to Travel (Europe, Fareast and Africa)
- Single contract /Married contract
- Some of the positions with a Family Contract (Accompanied Status) up to 3 eligible dependents, one of whom is a spouse
- Education Allowances for Married contract (2 eligible dependents only, 6-18 years of age)SR23,000 each eligible dependent per school year, subject to submission of school invoices
- Annual round-trip ticket to Riyadh directly from the location of the school outside the Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia
- Housing Accommodation
- Transportation Services
- Free mobilization and de-mobilization flights to and from point of origin.
- Baggage allowance
- 30 days of Annual Leave per year ( 2.5 days per month of service, to be utilized by the employee after 6 months of service)
- Holiday Leave per year ( 5 Days Eid Al Fitr, 5 Days Hajj and 1 Day Saudi National Day)
- Mid year Benefit (Ticket and 10 days post leave)
- Entitle for the Overtime Pay (Rate per hour * 150%)
- Saudi Service Award (Consisting of One-half months basic salary for each of the first five years of service and one month basic salary for each year of services thereafter)
- Annual vacation air tickets to point of origin (on contract renewal)
- Uniform & laundry
- Recreation Services
- Medical library/ Internet access
- Telephone access code for personal national and international phone calls (Charges are part of salary deductions)
- 12 month contracts (renewable)
- Merit increase upon renewal of contract, maximum of 6%
- Availability of on Job training & courses
- Availability of Promotion & Transfer
Recreational Facilities for Employees
Staff Recreation services offer a variety of leisure time activities for you, including… a fully equipped gym, swimming (Olympic size pool), squash, tennis, softball, soccer, basketball, movies, planned social events and trips to the desert. We have an Internet cafe on site and lots more activities are also available on a regular basis (we receive a monthly schedule of daily trips to shops, souks etc…).
Hash walking is also very popular in Saudi Arabia and there are many organized groups who partake in this activity.
Many people also take advantage of the chance to learn something new whether it is scuba diving (don’t forget we have the red sea in Jeddah, which is famous for it’s fabulous underwater coral and reefs), golf or horseback riding!
We also have a coffee shop and restaurant on site, a jewelry store, carpet shop and a supermarket, a dress makers and a dry-cleaning service (for your convenience).
Eating out remains a very popular pastime within the Kingdom and as such there is a wide range of restaurants in the cities; serving traditional Lebanese, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French, American and British style dishes. If you are only looking for a quick snack you can normally find a fast-food outlet around any corner, including; McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Starbucks and many others.
Cinemas, discos, dancing halls and bars are not allowed within the Kingdom, however, there are many social events organized by expatriates within their given compounds and the local Embassies also provide many major social events, including Cultural events and Sports-Nite’s. We do recommend you register with your local Embassy.
Also, participation in choral recitations and operatics with groups such as Hejaz Chorus and the Jeddah Light Operatics Society.
Organized camping trips to local scenic areas and places of interest take place at regular intervals and it is possible to join others from the hospital on short trips to neighbouring countries such as Egypt, Yemen and Jordan.
Various cultural events such as operatic evenings, jazz evenings, and piano recitals take place in Embassies and Consulates throughout Jeddah and a country and western square dance group get together each week for an evening of fun.
Runners can pit their skills against others at Jeddah Hash Harriers. The Rugby Club and Diving Club provide recreational diversion for many people. Water sports such as snorkeling, swimming and windsurfing are enjoyed at the many beach resorts. The Red Sea has one of the best coral reefs in the world and the hospital has access to a private beach complex.
While living in Jeddah interested parties will discover opportunities to develop skills at private classes teaching a range of subjects including languages, horse riding and musical instruments.
Jeddah probably enjoys the best shopping facilities in The Kingdom. There are numerous well stocked, western style, supermarkets, ultra modern, air conditioned shopping malls and dozens of traditional local markets with an atmosphere all their own. Good buys include gold, watches, carpets and electrical goods.
The absence of taxation in any shape or form renders prices extremely competitive but check your own customs and excise regulations concerning importing goods purchased overseas before making any commitments.
The City covers approximately one square mile set against a background of low desert hills. It is entered through a security gate. This first class accommodation is in apartment blocks of one, two or three bedrooms and is within easy walking distance of the hospital. All hard and soft furnishings are provided free of charge including washing machine, tumble drier, fridge/freezer and all kitchen utensils.
Female staff, other than those of very senior grade, will be required to share two bedroom accommodation with another female in a segregated female block. In keeping with the traditions and values of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, it is forbidden for single males and females to mix freely in single accommodation.
Medical City facilities include an Olympic size swimming pool and sundeck areas, tennis courts, gymnasium and indoor games room. A new basketball court and health club were recently completed.
A restaurant providing hot and cold snacks from 10:00 until 21:00. Take-out service is available. A supermarket, library and hairdressing salon are also provided. There is also a petrol station.
Medical City accommodation incorporates a motel where on call staff living off site are housed.
For children of eligible staff there is child care for pre-school infants as well as a primary school providing a British based education system.
Al Aoun Village:
Al Aoun Village is comprised of three bedroom detached and attached villas where mainly accompanied status housing and single male housing is located. In addition to the villas there are three and one bedroom bungalows. You will have complete comfort and privacy like your own home.
Al Aoun Village offers 24 hours security to maintain peaceful and secure surroundings. The facilities offer exemplary services, spacious gardens and beautiful landscaping, swimming pools, modern fitness and recreation center, gymnasium, satellite TV, and a spacious parking area.
- Chairman - Emergency MedicineWithin the mission, vision and values of Saudi Arabian National Guard - Health Affairs. Each Department within the Office of Medical Affairs shall have a Chairman who shall have general knowledge of the clinical areas covered by the Department, and demonstrate experience and ability in at least one of these clinical areas. Responsible to: Executive Director, Medical Services.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant - Cardiac SurgeryWe are looking for an enthusiastic Consultant Cardiac Consultant - Someone who works well in a fast- paced hospital setting. In this position you will reflect the mission, vision, and values of the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Programs.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant - HematopathologyWe are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant - Internal MedicineWe are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant - Palliative Care We are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant - Pediatric CardiologyWe are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience. Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant - Radiation Oncology To provide high quality care to patients with cancer, now and in the future, to the members of Saudi Arabian National Guards, their dependents, the staff of the hospital and any Saudi citizen diagnosed as having cancer. An effective, competitive and affordable program is now in place for non-Saudi citizens requiring cancer treatment through the Business Center.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant Anesthesia We are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant NeurologyWe are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesia We are looking for an enthusiastic Consultant in Pediatric Consultant Anesthesia - Someone who works well in a fast- paced hospital setting. In this position you will reflect the mission, vision, and values of the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance ProgramsRead MoreApply Now
- Consultant Pediatric MetabolicWe are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience. Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant Physical Medicine & RehabilitationWe are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience.Read MoreApply Now
- Consultant Trauma Surgery We are looking for hard-working & adventurous consultants who wish to advance their careers by joining overseas hospitals to gain international experience. Read MoreApply Now