Assistant Dean - Faculty Affairs
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) supports the Associate Dean in providing administrative leadership and policy development and implementation for medical faculty administrative and support functions, with a focus on faculty affairs.
- Masters Degree and/or PhD in a relevant field of study
- Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher
- Prior leadership role in faculty affairs or faculty development
- Strong record reflecting excellence in education, clinical practice, research and/or administration
- Proven management experience, requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
- Contribute to the formulation of the CMHS’s strategy, with a focus on meeting KU and CMHS strategic goals in the areas of faculty affairs, including the recruitment, retention, professional development of a diverse and highly qualified faculty
- Contribute to development of the CMHS’s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall objectives of Khalifa University, ensuring alignment to applicable regulations and standards and promoting leading practices and educational excellence
- Contribute to the development and management of the office budget
- Manage and mentor staff within the office
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, provides leadership for the CMHS Office of Faculty Affairs
- Supports CMHS accreditation processes and its program of continuous quality improvement
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improves courses, programs and services that support the College’s missions
- Ensures that faculty programs and services conform to laws, regulations, and policies of the United Arab Emirates
- Ensures the activities of the office are in alignment with accreditation guidelines
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and other departments and offices within KU and the CMHS, participates in faculty recruitment and onboarding processes to meet Khalifa University and CMHS strategic goals; provides routine reports to the Associate Dean and others as requested
- Develops and coordinates medical school faculty recruitment activities; supports programs to increase the number of qualified faculty who seek appointment to the CMHS
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the CMHS Faculty Evaluation and Promotion Committee; provides recommendations to the Associate Dean regarding faculty appointments to the committee and member performance
- Oversees training of CMHS faculty Evaluation and Promotion Committee Members; ensures the integrity of the process by establishing policies and processes that minimize the risk for conflicts of interest
- Participates in onboarding process for new faculty
- Establishes, implements, and oversees the CMHS faculty mentorship program
- Working with other offices and departments in the CMHS, ensures that faculty have access to relevant educational materials and are properly oriented as to their teaching and evaluation duties in accordance with accreditation standards and CMHS policy
- Oversees the Office of Teaching and Learning; creates and promotes the professional development of faculty in the areas of teaching and learning; oversees programs that support modern teaching pedagogies
- Oversees the E-Learning Lab, leveraging the latest technologies to provide a resource for the faculty to enhance their teaching methods and skills
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to promote and support research activities
- Supports and mentors office faculty, and staff who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the Office of Academic Affairs and the CMHS
- Manages faculty and staff (direct reports) by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Assists in scheduling and assigning staff workload in the Office of Faculty Affairs
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
- Provides coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensures the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommends appropriate training courses as per pre-determined training needs, evaluates their effectiveness, and monitors their results.
- Carries out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommends necessary actions as per applied practices.
- Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follows-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.