Assistant Dean - Falcon Learning Communities (FLC)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the Assistant Dean, Falcon Learning Communities at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) assists the Associate Dean in providing administrative leadership, policy development, and implementation of programs and services that support medical education and student success through a model of learning communities.
- Masters Degree and/or PhD in a relevant field of study
- Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher
- Prior leadership role in medical education
- Strong record reflecting excellence in education, clinical practice, research and/or administration
- Proven management experience, requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
- Contribute to the formulation of the CMHS’s strategy, with a focus on meeting KU and CMHS strategic goals in the areas of medical education, and medical student support through the establishment and operation of the Falcon Learning Communities (FLC)
- Contribute to development of the CMHS’s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall objectives of Khalifa University, ensuring alignment to applicable regulations and standards and promoting leading practices and educational excellence
- Contribute to the development and management of the FLC budget
- Manage and mentor faculty, staff and students
- Supports CMHS accreditation processes and its program of continuous quality improvement
- Supports CMHS educational programs by overseeing all aspects of the Falcon Learning Communities; working with others to foster a climate of academic excellence, collaboration, and interdisciplinary initiatives.
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve courses, programs and services that support the College’s missions
- Ensures that medical student programs and services conform to laws, regulations, and policies of the United Arab Emirates
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and other departments and offices within the CMHS, participates in the design, implementation, management, and evaluation of the Falcon Learning Communities, its programs and its services.
- Ensures the activities of the FLC are in alignment with accreditation guidelines
- Under the supervision of the CMHS Curriculum Committee, participates in the design, implementation, management, and evaluation of medical student curricular programming in coordination with Medical Education, Clinical Skills and other departments and offices in the CMHS
- Oversees the design, implementation, management and evaluation of FLC co-curricular programs (e.g. Leadership)
- Participates in the design, implementation and evaluation of student support services in coordination with other departments and offices in the CMHS and Khalifa University
- Supervises FLC faculty advisors and FLC coordinators.
- Participates in planning and implementation of student activities and events, including but not limited to, Freshman Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, and Commencement
- Develops and integrates effective communication strategies to promote faculty, staff, and student engagement in the FLC and other academic and student support programming consistent with the overall mission of the CMHS.
- Serves as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Curriculum Committee
- Serves as a voting member of the Admissions Committee
- Designs, implements and evaluates faculty development programming in coordination with the Office of Teaching and Learning
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to promote and support research activities
- Supports and mentors office faculty, staff and students who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associates Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the FLC
- Manages faculty and staff (direct reports) by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Assists in scheduling and assigning FLC faculty and staff workload
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. As per our agreement with hospitals we recruit for, we can only work with candidates who obtained their qualifications and experience from: US, Canada, Western Europe, Australia & New Zealand.