Chairman - Oncology
King Faisal Specialist Hospital - Jeddah
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Responsible for planning, organizing and administering all scientific investigation activities within the Oncology Department.
Education / Qualification Required:
Post-qualification board certification with one of the following:
- USA: The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)
- Canada: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCPS-C)
- UK: GMC/CCST Specialist Register
- Germany: Facharzt Specialist Certificate
- Sweden: Swedish Board
- Australia and New Zealand: Fellowship from the Royal College or New Zealand College
Basic medical degree from recognized institution
Experience Post Post-Qualifications:
- Ten (10) years of clinical experience in a sub-specialty.
- Four (4) years in Admin Capacity, plus post-training experience is required.
- Current and clean medical license to practice in country of origin / country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Diagnoses diseases based on the gross, microscopic, chemical, immunological and molecular examination of organs and tissues.
- Participates in gross and microscopic processing of surgical specimens, in cytological and other related
- Ensures appropriate patient preparation for procedures such as fine needle aspirations and bone marrow biopsy and performs procedures as indicated in the signed clinical privilege form.
- Reports, interprets and comments on results of certain haematology and transfusion reactions and recommends further investigations, when indicated.
- Provides consultations and interpretations on tests performed by the laboratory.
- Evaluates final reports for accuracy and highlights any abnormalities to the physician.
- Provides technical direction, planning and organization to the relevant sections of the laboratory.
- Shares on- call schedule as per requirements.
- Performs any other clinical responsibilities, as assigned.
- Promotes Postgraduate Training Programs, Continuing Medical Education activities, international symposia and other required educational and training courses and ensures evaluation and reporting of such activities.
- Leads and promotes educational activities for Residents, Fellows, Assistant Consultants, junior staff and other members of the Department.
- Introduces and implements new advances and techniques for complex procedures in the field of Oncology.
- Hosts national and international medical conferences in KFSH&RC (Gen. Org.) and participates in similar conferences abroad.
- Leads and promotes clinical, basic and translational research and publication of papers in accordance with Research Advisory Council Policy in order to advance knowledge.
- Improves the quality of post graduate education and contributes to the national and international recognition of KFSH&RC (Gen. Org.).
- Develops the Department's Strategic Plan, Goals and Objectives in conformance with the overall strategic plan of Medical and Clinical Affairs. Provides quarterly reports on the progress made by the Department on the Goals and Objectives.
- Ensures that the department and its staff perform in accordance with agreed Performance Objectives. Reports the Performance Results to the Executive Director, Medical and Clinical Affairs, on a periodic basis. Undertakes and leads the conduct of any corrective action that may be required, improves the performance results of the department and its staff.
- Ensures that patient care and clinical services rendered by the department are in accordance with appropriate quality standards. Promotes the implementation of Quality Improvement Programs in the department.
- Leads initiatives for maximizing the utilization of all resources within the department and coordinates the same across the Hospital.
- Ensures that patient care is provided in conformance with the Patients' Bill of Rights by the department and its staff.
- Obtains feedback from all customers and interested parties and takes appropriate action as required. Uses the feedback to improve quality of patient care.
- Acts as a leader and a role model and promotes a culture of excellence.
- Ensures an adequate and uninterrupted coverage in the Department. Manages the work distribution and leave schedules of the staff and resolves related issues to ensure efficient workflow.
- Ensures resources are available to respond for the routine request or emergency service provisions, and to expand outputs, service and facilities, as needed.
- Recommends appointment of Deputy Chairman (en), Heads of Sections, and other important staff members for the Department.
- Conducts annual evaluation of Departmental staff, in consultation with Section Heads and makes recommendations to Medical and Clinical Affairs.
- Fosters integration and collaboration with Nursing, Clinical Services, Administration, Support Services and other Departments to ensure that required patient care is being provided, in accordance with standards laid down by KFSH&RC (Gen. Org. ).
- Establishes systems and processes for assignment, evaluation and renewal of clinical privileges for the departmental staff and makes recommendations on the same. Monitors adherence of staff members to assigned clinical privileges and recommends immediate modification of clinical privileges to ensure patient safety, whenever necessary.
- Enforces and monitors the adherence of all members of his Department to the Medical Staff Bylaws and rules and regulations,and Hospital policies and procedures.
- Reports, investigates and takes timely and appropriate action in response to non-conformities, complaints and incident reports.
- Prepares and manages the annual Operating Budget of the Department and the annual Capital Equipment budget for the medical and clinical units associated with the Department, in conjunction with Nursing Affairs and Clinical Services, wherever applicable.
- Participates in capital equipment purchase planning, evaluation and implementation.
- Chairs regular departmental staff meetings to review and discuss patient care, policies, education, research, resource utilization and administrative activities. Particiaptes as a member of the Medical Advisory Council.
- Develops policies and procedures for the department as necessary.Facilitates the development of by-laws, rules and regulations and hospital policies of KFSH&RC (Gen. Org.).Makes timely decisions and authorizes all policies and procedures and by-laws for his Department.
- Responds to any queries and requests from the regulatory and governance bodies.
- Abides by the current hospital and medical staff bylaws, all relevant rules, regulations and policies and keeps self-updated of any changes that might occur.
- Performs other duties, responsibilities and assignments as may be requested by the Executive Director, Medical and Clinical Affairs.