Chairman - Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
King Faisal Specialist Hospital - Madinah
Madinah, Saudi Arabia
Leads the department in accordance with the vision, mission, strategic priorities, goals and objectives of Tertiary Acute Care Facility. Accountable to Executive Director, Medical & Clinical Affairs (MCA) for effective operations and management of allocated resources of the department.
Education / Qualification Required:
Post-qualification board certification with one of the following:
- USA: The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS)
- Canada: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCPS-C)
- UK: GMC/CCST Specialist Register
- Germany: Facharzt Specialist Certificate
- Sweden: Swedish Board
- Australia and New Zealand: Fellowship from the Royal College or New Zealand College
Basic medical degree from recognized institution
Experience Post Post-Qualifications:
- Ten (10) years of clinical experience in a sub-specialty
- Four (4) years in in Admin Capacity, plus post-training experience is required.
- Current and clean medical license to practice in country of origin / country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides general supervision over the professional care in the Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology.
- Ensures the quality of medical diagnosis and care provided to outpatients of the department.
- Directs the Organization of the staff so as to give optimum care to all patient accepted to the department in accordance with policies and procedures of the hospital
- Provides required patient care and management in the area of Pediatric Hematology Oncology in accordance with policies and procedures of the hospital
- Assumes responsibility for patients under his care. Liaises with various service departments and medical specializations to provide appropriate and timely medical care, in accordance with the standards of medical care laid down by the hospital
- Complies with all Hospital standards and policies pertaining to acceptance, eligibility, admission, processes, consultation, daily patient care, outpatient practices and patient discharge as applicable.
- Assess patients' diseases or conditions to determine appropriate therapeutic modalities/procedures. Initiates investigations and ensures findings are recorded.
- Ensures appropriate patient preparation for procedures/surgery and performs procedures/surgery as indicated in the signed clinical privilege form.
- Follows-up on investigation results for outpatients and modifies treatment accordingly as applicable.
- Attends specialty clinics, outpatient clinics, day surgical units, day medical units, special procedures treatment areas and share on-call schedule as per requirements.
- Performs any other clinical responsibilities related to speciality, as assigned.
- Promotes Postgraduate Training Programs, Continuing Medical Education Activities, International Symposia and other required educational and training courses and ensures evaluation and reporting of such activities.
- Leads and promotes educational activities for Residents, Fellows, Assistant Consultants, Junior Staff and other members of the Department.
- Introduces and implements new advances and techniques for complex procedures in the area of specialization.
- Hosts National and International Medical Conferences in the hospital and participates in similar conferences abroad as assigned.
- Leads and promotes clinical basic and translational research and publication of papers in accordance with Research and Advisory Council Policy in order to advance knowledge, improve the quality of post graduate education and contribute to the national and international recognition of the hospital
- Develops the department's Strategic Plan, Goals and Objectives in conformance with the overall strategic plan of Medical & Clinical Affairs. Provides quarterly reports on the progress made by the department on the Goals and Objectives.
- Ensures that the department and its staff performed in accordance with agreed Performance Objective Reports the Performance results to the Executive Director, MCA on a periodic basis. Undertakes and leads the conduct of any corrective action that may be requires to improve the performance results of the department and its staff.
- Ensures that patient care and clinical services rendered by the department are in accordance with the appropriate quality standards. Promotes the implementation of Quality Improvement Programs in the Department.
- Leads the initiative in maximizing the utilization of all resources efficiently within the department and coordinates the same across the Hospital.
- Ensures that patient care is provided in conformance with the Patients' Bill of Rights by the department and its staff.
- Obtains feedback from customers and interested parties and takes appropriate action as required. Uses the feedback to improve quality of patient care.
- Acts as a leader and a role model and promotes a culture of excellence.
- Ensures that there is adequate and uninterrupted staff coverage in the Department. Manages the work distribution and leave schedules of the staff and resolves related issues to ensure efficient workflow.
- Ensures resources area available to respond to routine, request or emergency service provision and to expand outputs, service and facilities as needed.
- Recommends appointment of Deputy Chairman, Section Heads and other senior staff members of the Department.
- Conducts annual evaluation of Departmental staff in consultation with Sections Heads and makes recommendations to Medical and Clinical Affairs.
- Fosters integration and collaboration with Nursing, Clinical Services, Administration, Support Services and other departments to ensure that required patient care is being provided, in accordance with standards laid down by the hospital
- Establishes systems and processes for assignment, evaluation and renewal of clinical privileges for the department staff and makes recommendations on the same. Monitors adherence of staff members to assigned clinical privileges and recommends immediate modification of clinical privileges to ensure patient safety, whenever is necessary.
- Enforces and monitors the adherence of all members in the department to the Medical Staff bylaws and rules and regulations and Hospital's policies and procedures.
- Reports, investigates and takes timely and appropriate action in response to non-conformities, complaints and incident reports.
- Prepares and manages the Annual Operating Budget of the Department and Annual Capital Equipment Budget for the medical and clinical units associated with the department, in conjunction with Nursing Affairs and Clinical Services, wherever applicable.
- Participate in Capital Equipment Purchase Planning, evaluation and implementation.
- Chairs regular departmental staff meeting to review and discuss patient care policies, education, research, resource utilization and administrative activities. Participates as a member of Medical Advisory Council.
- Develops policies and procedures for the department as necessary. Facilitates the development of Bylaws, rules and regulations and Hospital policies and procedures.
- Makes timely decision and authorizes all policies and procedures and bylaws for his department.
- Responds to any queries and requests from the regulatory and governance bodies.
- Abides by the current Hospital and Medical Staff Bylaws, all relevant rules and regulations and policies and keeps self-updated of any change that might occur.
- Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
- Participates in self, other's education, training & development as applicable.
- Performs any other related duties, as assigned.