Leads the department in accordance with the vision, mission, strategic priorities, goals, and objectives of KFSH&RC. Accountable to Executive Director – Medical and Clinical Affairs for effective operations and management of allocated resources of the department. Plans, submits, and monitors the operational budget of the department. Manages departmental processes, performance, quality, education, and research, in order to provide effective service in accordance with medical staff bylaws, and the hospital’s policies and procedures. Serves as an advocate of the department’s interests. Has a half-time clinical load compared to that of a Consultant in Anesthesiology.
- Basic medical degree from recognized institution
- Post-qualification certification
- Qualification Source from: North America, Western Europe, Australia or New Zealand.
- USA: The American Board of Anesthesia
- Canada: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Certificate (RCPS-C)
- UK and Ireland: GMC/CCST Specialist Register
- Australia and New Zealand: Fellowship from the Royal College (FRACP)
- Western Europe: Equivalent certification to the above
- Qualification Source from: North America, Western Europe, Australia or New Zealand.
- Minimum Fifteen (15) years of experience post certification (specialty board/equivalent) out of which the minimum of 5 years in the capacity department Head/Chairman/Deputy Chairman at tertiary acute care hospital in North America, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand.
Current and in a Good Standing Medical License to practice in country of residence.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides required patient care and management in the field of Anesthesiology in accordance with policies and procedures of KFSH&RC.
- Assumes responsibility for patients under his care. Liaises with various support service departments and medical specializations to provide appropriate and timely medical care, in accordance with the standards of medical care laid down by KFSH&RC.
- Complies with all hospital standards and policies pertaining to acceptance, eligibility, admission processes, consultation, daily patient care, operating room, outpatient practices, and patient discharge.
- Ensures appropriate patient preparation for procedures and surgery and performs procedures as indicated in the signed clinical privilege form.
- Provides high quality anesthesia care to patients and manages the medical care of patients before, during and after surgery.
Discusses the anesthetic plan, as well as alternatives, risks, and benefits of the chosen anesthetic techniques with the patient prior to surgery. (This can be difficult or impossible in some situations, such as unconscious or confused patients, or urgent cases where this can be done with a patient’s relative or career).
- Performs a preoperative medical evaluation of each patient before surgery, consults and plans the surgery with the surgical team and creates a plan for the anesthesia tailored to each individual patient.
- Provides airway management, intra-operative life support, pain control, intra-operative diagnostic stabilizing and prepares patients for emergency surgery.
- Provides coverage in the operating rooms, clinics, and outlying anesthetic areas independently. As perioperative physicians, anesthesiologists also work in PACUs, Pain Clinics, and ambulatory surgical centers.
- Participates in Liver Transplantation, Hospital Code, and other patient related programs of the Hospital.
- Attends pre-anesthesia clinics, pain clinic, outpatient clinics, special procedures such as insertion of central line, epidural catheter, treatment areas and shares on- call schedule as per requirements.
- Performs any other clinical responsibilities, as assigned.
- Promotes Postgraduate Training Programs, Continuing Medical Education activities, international symposia and other required educational and training courses and ensures evaluation and reporting of such activities.
- Leads and promotes educational activities for Residents, Fellows, Assistant Consultants, junior staff and other members of the department.
- Introduces and implements new advances and techniques for complex procedures in the field of Anesthesiology.
- Hosts national and international medical conferences in KFSH&RC and participates in similar conferences abroad.
- Leads and promotes clinical, basic and translational research and publication of papers in accordance with Research Advisory Council Policy in order to advance knowledge, improve the quality of post graduate education and contribute to the national and international recognition of KFSH&RC.
- Develops the department’s Strategic Plan, Goals and Objectives in conformance with the overall strategic plan of Medical and Clinical Affairs. Provides quarterly reports on the progress made by the department on the Goals and Objectives.
- Ensures that the department and its staff perform in accordance with agreed Performance Objectives. Reports the Performance Results to the Executive Director – Medical and Clinical Affairs, on a periodic basis. Undertakes and leads the conduct of any corrective action that may be required, to improve the performance results of the department and its staff.
- Ensures that patient care and clinical services rendered by the department are in accordance with appropriate quality standards. Promotes the implementation of Quality Improvement Programs in the department.
- Leads initiatives for maximizing the utilization of all resources within the department and coordinates the same across the hospital.
- Ensures that patient care is provided in conformance with the Patients’ Bill of Rights by the department and its staff.
- Obtains feedback from all customers and interested parties and takes appropriate action as required. Uses the feedback to improve quality of patient care.
- Acts as a leader and a role model and promotes a culture of excellence.
- Ensures that there is adequate and uninterrupted coverage in the Department. Manages the work distribution and leave schedules of the staff and resolves related issues to ensure efficient workflow.
- Ensures resources are available to respond to routine, request or emergency service provisions and to expand outputs, service and facilities, as needed.
- Recommends appointment of Deputy Chairman (en), Heads of Sections, Program Directors and other important staff members for the Department.
- Conducts annual evaluation of Departmental staff, in consultation with Section Heads and makes recommendations to Medical and Clinical Affairs.
- Fosters integration and collaboration with Nursing, Clinical Services, Administration, Support Services and other departments to ensure that required patient care is being provided, in accordance with standards laid down by KFSH&RC.
- Establishes systems and processes for assignment, evaluation and renewal of clinical privileges for the departmental staff and makes recommendations on the same. Monitors adherence of staff members to assigned clinical privileges and recommends immediate modification of clinical privileges to ensure patient safety, whenever necessary.
- Enforces and monitors the adherence of all members of his Department to the Medical Staff Bylaws and rules and regulations, and hospital policies and procedures.
- Reports, investigates and takes timely and appropriate action in response to non-conformities, complaints and incident reports.
- Prepares and manages the annual Operating Budget of the Department and the annual Capital Equipment budget for the medical and clinical units associated with the Department, in conjunction with Nursing Affairs and Clinical Services, wherever applicable.
- Participates in capital equipment purchase planning, evaluation and implementation.
- Chairs regular departmental staff meetings to review and discuss patient care, policies, education, research, resource utilization and administrative activities. Participates as a member of the Medical Advisory Council.
- Develops policies and procedures for the department as necessary. Facilitates the development of by laws, rules and regulations and hospital policies of KFSH&RC.
- Makes timely decisions and authorizes all policies and procedures and by-laws for his Department.
- Responds to any queries and requests from the regulatory and governance bodies.
- Abides by the current hospital and medical staff bylaws, all relevant rules, regulations and policies and keeps self updated of any changes that might occur.
- Performs other duties, responsibilities and assignments as may be requested by the Executive Director, Medical and Clinical Affairs.
- Performs any other related duties, as assigned.