Course Director - Human Anatomy, Embryology and Histology
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Essential to this role is the desire to train a new generation of medical specialist, as well as contribute to world-class research that improves practice while delivering a service to the university, the community and the United Arab Emirates.
The responsibilities of faculty members shall be an appropriate combination of:
a) Dissemination of knowledge through undergraduate and / or graduate teaching; and
b) Research, scholarly or other creative activities; and
c) Academic service
- Minimum 5 years experience AND experience in teaching at a level that is relevant to the position and would have made contributions to research and/or scholarship and/or teaching and administrative services of an organizational unit
- A degree in medicine (MD or MBBS) and/or postgraduate degree (PhD) in an area relevant to the appointment
- Demonstratable experience in teaching and mentorship in the discipline at the undergraduate and/or postgraduate level
- Demonstratable abilities to work effectively as a member of interdisciplinary and collegial team, well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to provide leadership and take the initiative
The position calls for a leading authority in "human anatomy and/or physiology" with evidence of exceptional academic standing.
Expected to have a made a substantive contribution to their discipline, and can show evidence of innovative curriculum development, a distinguished record of teaching, and proven academic leadership.
- Develop course outlines in their respective disciplines
- Ensure course objectives are in alignment with MD Program objectives
- Assist Chairman in identifying, recruiting, assigning, and training faculty lecturers
- Prepare teaching material including course outline, syllabus and lesson plans. Revise the subject matter on a regular basis as appropriate for that subject.
- Teach at the graduate and undergraduate medical education level in subject areas related to biomedical sciences on time schedules allocated by the Line Manager.
- Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- Engage in the selection of textbooks and other teaching aids necessary to the instruction of courses.
- Monitor students’ performance in their subject areas and provide remedial classes when necessary.
- Set and mark exams, coursework, assignments, laboratory work, homework, and any other relevant activity.
- Use up-to-date instructional technology and ensure the delivery is clear and consistent.
- Participate in professional peer reviews.
- Develop and improve their scholarly competence and effectiveness as teachers within their area of expertise.
Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities:
- Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review.
- Deliver papers or make presentations at professional association meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Participate in panels at regional and international meetings of professional organizations.
- Contribute to departmental, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- Serve on the CMHS Curriculum Committee
- Contribute to student recruitment, retention and placement efforts.
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental or advisory capacity.
- Support and participate in student organization activities.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.