Emergency Medicine Senior Consultant
The Senior Consultant is the most senior doctor (apart from the Department Chair and/or Section Head) who practices in Emergency Medicine and has oversight responsibility for his team of Consultants and junior doctors and manages other team members. The Senior Consultant is responsible for the care of all patients admitted under his name and for all the clinical decisions made by other doctors under his supervision.
Basic medical degree from recognized institution
Qualification Source from: North America, Western Europe, Australia or New Zealand.
USA: The American Board of Pathology (AB Path)
Canada: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Certificate (FRCPS)
UK and Ireland: GMC/CCST Specialist Register
Australia and New Zealand: Fellowship from the Royal College (FRACP)
Western Europe: Equivalent certification to the above
Minimum One (1) year of experience post board certification as a Senior Consultant or
Minimum Six (6) year of experience post board certification as a Consultant
Advanced training and experience in Emergency Medicine
Track record of scholarship (publications, presentations, etc.)
Valid and in a good standing Medical License in current country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The senior consultant is responsible for organizing, monitoring, and maintaining the clinical services provided within the department in order to achieve the highest possible level of patient care with optimum utilization of the available resources. Senior consultants are role models of physician leadership and management as well as application of medical expertise in the exemplary care of patients.
- Adheres to policies, guidelines, plans and programs of Hamad Medical Corporation.
- Performs all duties assigned to a consultant physician.
- Assumes direct responsibility for the patients under his/her medical attendance in the assigned unit.
- Conducts rounds and undertakes supervision of treatment of the inpatients as well as screening and examination of the outpatients.
- Undertakes supervisory responsibility for the medical staff within the unit and prepares regular reports on the activities of the unit for the department head/chairman.
- Participates in the various committees for the upgrading of services and organization of work within and outside the hospital.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of the department development plans and the different manpower training programs for the medical, technical and nursing staff.
- Participates in the planning and follow up of the medical education and research activities.
- Performs all relevant interventions related to his/her field of specialization.
- Participates in health education programs through orientation and scientific presentations.
- Participates in scheduling of on-call duties and provides on-call services.
- Participates in the assessment and updating of drug, medical supply and equipment needs.
- Writes, completes and approves medical reports for patients.
- Provides guidance and counsel to other departments when requested.
- Completes and maintains his set of clinical privileges
- Complies with Revalidation guidelines and standards
- Acquires SCH License to practice and maintains it while working for HMC
- Performs other duties as assigned/directed by the chairperson/head of the department and approved by the Medical Director
- The specific details about roles and responsibilities related to each specialty can be found in their job plan which is maintained by the Department