Faculty Anatomy and Cellular Biology
Essential to this role is the desire of the successful applicant to train a new generation of medical specialist, as well as contribute to world-class research that improves practice while delivering a service to the university, the community and the United Arab Emirates.
Education / Qualification Required:
- Degree in medicine (MD or MBBS) and/or a postgraduate degree (PhD) in an area relevant to the appointment.
- Demonstrable experience in teaching and mentorship in the discipline at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Demonstrable ability to engage in independent research, with an established record of scholarly publication.
- Demonstrable success in supervision of research students.
- Demonstrable abilities to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary and collegial team well developed interpersonal skis and the ability to provide leadership and take the initiative.
- Minimum six (6) years of experience AND experience in teaching at a level that is relevant to the position and would have made contributions to research and/or scholarship and/or teaching. Can demonstrate some level of administrative skills of a team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The position calls for a specialist in areas of Anatomy and Cellular Biology to develop course outlines in their respective disciplines. Specific duties of the successful applicant will include:
- Prepare teaching material including course outline, syllabus and lesson plans. Revise the subject matter on a regular basis as appropriate for that subject.
- Teach at the graduate and undergraduate level in subject areas related to biomedical sciences on time schedules allocated by the Line Manager.
- Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- Provide students with detailed syllabus, methods of instruction and evaluation in their courses.
- Engage in the selection of textbooks and other teaching aids necessary to the instruction of courses.
- Monitor students’ performance in their subject areas and provides remedial classes when necessary.
- Set and mark exams, coursework, assignments, laboratory work, homework, and any other relevant activity.
- Use up-to-date instructional technology and ensure the delivery is clear and consistent.
- Participate in professional peer reviews.
- Supervise teaching internships.
- Develop and improve their scholarly competence and effectiveness as teachers within their area of expertise.
- Teach at undergraduate level as required.
Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities
- Carry out research and produces publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the review process.
- Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review.
- Deliver papers at professional association meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Participate in panels at regional and international meetings of professional organizations.
- Identify and successfully bid for external funding and grants.
- Actively raise the College’s and Faculty’s profile, internally and externally.
- Participate in departmental and faculty seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department.
- Collaborate with colleagues, both within and outside the University, in conducting and managing research and consultancy activities.
- Supervise students’ research and practical work and of their theses preparation, as well as participate in evaluation of their theses.
- Contribute to departmental, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- Contribute to student recruitment, retention and placement efforts.
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental or advisory capacity.
- Support and participate in student organization activities.
- Adhere to the University’s information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.