Nurse Manager OR Perioperative Services
Responsible for the implementation and delivery of age appropriate patient care congruent with the mission, vision and values of the Organization. Responsible for ensuring nursing staff adhere to the Professional Code of Conduct and Scope of Practice of the regulatory body. Manages clinical and operational activities and ensure the provision of optimum clinical care, customer satisfaction and patient safety. Leads the Nurses Leadership Team and is responsible for the overall service delivery.
Education / Qualification Required:
- BS Degree in Nursing from North America, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Minimum Six (6) years of experience in an appropiate & relevant healthcare setting post qualification.
- Valid and in a good Standing License in current country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Takes a lead role in coordinating hospital services during their shift.
- Supports an environment that allows staff to acquire skills, identify and develop new ideas that ensures commitment to the organizational goals.
- Addresses the immediate legal and ethical dilemmas in a professional, collaborative manner and refers to the relevant person for action.
- Participates in the recruitment process when necessary.
- Takes a lead role in managing disasters, codes, and incidents as per the Organization’s policy and procedures.
- Provides leadership in critical thinking, conflict management and problem solving.
- Provides leadership in support of evidence-based practice, quality initiatives and promotion of a healthy workplace environment.
- Maintains appropriate contact with the organizations nursing executive/administrator “on call” providing timely and accurate information.
- Monitors and evaluates appropriate utilization of staff in collaboration with the nursing team.
- Responsible to ensure that bed allocation and staff skill mix is appropriate for patient condition
- Collaborates with personnel from non-nursing department/disciplines regarding issues that may negatively impact patient care; facilitate solutions as needed
- Participates in committees, task forces that are interdisciplinary or interdepartmental; may be required to chair, co-chair or lead such groups.
- Acts as a change agent for the organization.
- Facilitates a positive working environment across the organization.
- Provides input into Executive level decisions.
- Supports and works in partnership with nursing executive in setting the strategic direction for the nursing department.
Management of Clinical Practice
- Facilitates effective patient flow utilizing bed capacity and staffing resources appropriately.
- Monitors and reviews staff skill mix and in accordance with patient acuity uses available information to align staffing and workload.
- Builds relationships with staff, peers and colleagues to support interdisciplinary and interdepartmental planning, aimed at improving patient outcomes.
- Promotes continuity of care that is patient centered, outcome oriented and focused towards discharge planning.
- Ensures that quality standards of nursing documentation are maintained according to organisational policy.
- Perform hospital rounds to assess, identify problems, determine solutions and guide teams in clinical and operational management of services.
- Liaises effectively with other health care providers both internal and external to the organization.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of patient, family, and organization information in accordance with the confidentiality policy
- Facilitates effective communication between the patient, family and the interdisciplinary health care team as required.
- Communicates with all unit(s) /departments as appropriate, to maximize efficiency and to expedite the admission, transfer and discharge process.
- Uses information technology to access, transmit and produce information as necessary.
Performance Improvement / Risk Management
- Supports a culture of performance improvement.
- Monitors and evaluates the quality of nursing care provided.
- Actively participates in accreditation activities.
- Undertakes patient and environmental risk assessments and documents corrective action to improve patient outcomes as required.
- Audits compliance with organisational documentation standards.
- Supports and participates in ongoing educational and research programs within the Nursing Department and the organization.
- Supports and participates in the implementation of evidence based practice to promote clinical knowledge and a research based clinical practice environment.
- Monitors and supports the organisational Key Performance Indicators and Clinical Indicators and reinforces corrective action to improve clinical service.
- Responsible for the coordination, monitoring, and reporting of incidents occurring within the organization after business hours facilitating corrective or preventative action as required.
- Responsible for minimizing exposure to incidents of infection/cross infection of patients, staff, visitors and the general public. Ensures staff adheres to the infection control policies and procedures of the organization
- Monitors compliance with International and HA-AD Patient Safety Goals
- Reports on nursing department activity e.g. sick leave and occupancy rates
- Support the staff to provide a suitable environment for patient and family learning.
- Is a clinical/administrative resource
- Engages in health promotion activities in the organization and community
- Identifies and utilizes various mechanisms to assist in development of managerial and leadership skills.
- Utilizes internal educational resources and external agencies to assist with development of managerial competencies.
- Develops and achieves annual performance criteria/goals in conjunction with the Line Manager.
- Attends and participates in the orientation and other hospital based programs as agreed with the Line Manager.
- Maintains and updates own professional development through relevant educational activities.
- Maintains and updates a professional portfolio.
- Initiates action and reports to the appropriate manager, when staff behavior and/or performance do not meet professional standards.
- Effective and efficient utilization of human resources, consumables and equipment.
- This job description is not definitive and following periodic review may be subject to change.
- The nursing/ supervisor will also be expected to contribute to the wider corporate and organisational development needs as appropriate within scope of practice.
- The nursing supervisor will be expected to ensure compliance with the requirement of the Health and Safety regulations of the organization.
- Upholds the organization customer service standards at all times.