- A Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing and an RN license is required.
- Master’s degree in Nursing or related area preferred
- Specialist Certification in area of responsibility preferred e.g. AMSN, CCRN, CEN, AORN, RN-BC, CNM, CM.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) competency required. ALS, PALS and NALS as appropriate to role.
- 10 years’ experience in Nursing, with at least 4 years of experience in a managerial position.
- Understand and meet the criteria and standards developed by the Joint Commission International and appropriate standards for a hospital facility.
- Knowledge of the AONE Competencies for Nurse Managers
- Knowledge of the ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses
- Collaborate with the Chief Nursing Officer and nursing leaders in the development of the strategic plan for Nursing and the application in sphere of responsibility
- Participate in the development of clinical operational plans with clinical leaders and ensure implementation within area of responsibility.
- Participate in the annual budget development process and take responsibility for implementation and achievement of optimal fiscal performance.
- Monitor monthly and year to date unit performance to budget and identifies plans to mitigate financial and operational risks.
- Identify and as appropriate, lead opportunities for service expansion, service reconfiguration and service development based on demand, national and AHMC strategy.
- Identify Nurse-sensitive indicators and quality outcomes appropriate to area and lead their achievement.
- Monitor patient outcomes to ensure appropriate patient care and patient safety in line with the International Patient Safety Goals.
- Ensure staff receive appropriate training and can demonstrate identified skills to provide optimal patient care.
- Conduct weekly Environment of Care rounds and take action or escalate issues for resolution.
- Foster the development of effective interdisciplinary teams to enhance coordination and delivery of patient care.
- Develop departmental staffing schedules and unit guidelines in conjunction with staff that facilitate the provision of safe patient care and operational requirements
- Provide opportunities for continuing staff education and training as required to enhance patient care.
- Develop and implement a consistent and successful communication model with staff using appropriate tools to enhance employee engagement, fulfillment, and satisfaction.
- Participate in the Nurse Manager rota for patient flow and bed management.