Nursing Supervisor – Emergency Room
We are seeking a talented, enthusiastic and passionate candidate whom will be responsible for providing comprehensive nursing care utilizing the nursing process and meeting the established standard of nursing practice and performance.
The Advanced Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) is an independent health professional with advanced specialist nursing education, preferably at Masters or PhD level, who provides essential health services grounded in professional, legal and ethical standards and has expertise in a clinical specialty. The Advanced CNS, using in depth knowledge in nursing and other relevant sciences, provides expert comprehensive nursing care to specialized client populations; and solutions to complex health-care issues with patients, colleagues in other disciplines, administrators and policy-makers. CNS seeks to apply best practices and use evidence to inform decisions and care planning. and leads in the development of clinical practice guidelines and protocols. The CNS promotes the use of evidence, provide expert support and consultation and facilitate system change and provides leadership and clinical guidance to nursing staff managing complex patients/populations to improve the quality of care and promote evidence based practice.
CNS promotes excellence in nursing practice through the five main role components of the Clinician, Consultant, Educator, Researcher and Leader. He/she assumes leadership roles within their unit, program and across the hospital/community, influencing clinical nursing practice and provision of care. He/she serves as the contact person for select patient populations and may be responsible for triaging and coordinating the interdisciplinary plan of care.
Education / Qualifications Required:
- Bachelors degree in nursing
- Board certification or post registration specialist qualification in relevant specialty
- Master’s degree in Nursing specialty
- Current and in Good Standing Nursing License/Registration (RN) to practice in country of residence
- PhD in any field of Nursing specialty
- Three to five years practice in clinical nursing discipline in acute care setting. At least three years experience in specialty area of focus
- Evidence of practising within Scope of service which reflects the required CNS role Knowledge and skill of complex nursing practice issues
- Ability to work with diversity, navigate complex situations and advocate for patients and families
- Ability to act as a change agent, problem solver, critical thinker, team and consensus builder
- Evidence of innovation and visionary leadership to advance nursing practice and patient safety
- Working knowledge of Performance Improvement Process and international standards
Duties / Responsibilities:
Assess / Plan:
- Performs and documents a comprehensive medical/nursing history, physical, psychosocial emotional, ethnic, cultural and spiritual assessment of the patient’s health status
- Performs and documents comprehensive patient and family history
- Formulates differential diagnoses through the integration of the patient/family health information and evidence-informed practice.
- Initiates appropriate referrals to other members of the health care team based on assessment and referral guidelines
- Develop or contribute to the long term nursing care plan in collaboration with the patient/family and the health care team, and documents on the interdisciplinary plan of care
- Facilitates the development of the interdisciplinary plan of care
- Provides direct, specialized, comprehensive care, emphasizing health promotion, disease prevention and collaborative management strategies to positively affect health outcomes
- Communicates with patients and families about health assessment findings
- Communicates internally and externally to facilitate patient management in all settings Under the terms of program and individual-specific proctor agreements, clinical pathways, clinical protocols and/or medical directives, the clinical nurse specialist may:
- Implement aspects of care
- Identify and implements creative strategies for managing complex health-care situations within the selected clinical specialty.
- Participates in the coordination of complex discharge planning
- Provide education and counseling regarding diagnoses, prognoses, disorders, conditions, risk factors, medication (use, side effects, risk factors, interactions) and therapeutic interventions
- Acts as the Contact Person for selected patient populations
- Assesses, evaluates and revises the nursing care plan
- Evaluates and revises the interdisciplinary plan of care in collaboration with Patient/family and the health care team to ensure patient needs are being met
- Provides consultation to nurses and the health care team regarding clinical complex situations (within area of expertise)
- Works with all disciplines to achieve the best health outcomes for patients and families. Uses interpersonal skills to facilitate small group function and contribute to high performance teams.
- Consults with and/or refers clients to other health-care providers at any point in the care continuum when the patient’s condition is not within the Advanced CNS scope of practice or the individual Advanced CNS competence.
- Acts as a consultant to and/or refers and accepts referrals from health-care providers, community agencies and allied non-health-care professionals.
- Applies advanced knowledge and skills in communication, negotiation, coalition building, change management and conflict-resolution, including the ability to analyze, manage and negotiate conflict to support and facilitate relationships with peers, members of the healthcare team, physicians, patients and families, both internal and external to the organization
- Provides informal/formal consultation to the Executive team, the hospital and other organizations
- Provides consultation to external partners and/or the community to collaboratively develop standards, policies and procedures to ensure seamless care for patients and families
- Acts as a preceptor, mentor, role model and coach to nursing colleagues, students, other members of the healthcare team and students.
- Collaborates with individuals and groups to identify and address specific learning needs for patients/families and other health care professionals. This may include developing resources or programs to meet those needs
- Provides/promotes educational programs for patients and families, and health care practitioners within the hospital and beyond
- Takes advantage of informal learning opportunities to educate nursing colleagues and health team members
- Promotes the development, critical analysis, interpretation and dissemination of evidence-based findings
- Participates in the academic community by providing education, clinical supervision and mentorship through university cross-appointment
- Provides leadership in identifying nursing research opportunities
- Develops, participates in and promotes research as a primary investigator, or in collaboration with others to improve, enhance or benefit care of the patient/family, nursing practice and/or the organization/health system
- Identifies and implements new research/evidence- based treatments to improve patient care, organizations or health systems
- Critically reviews, analyzes, interprets and applies evidence to clinical practice
- Disseminates research and clinical findings through publications, presentations, seminars, etc.
- Acts as a change agent through knowledge translation and dissemination of new knowledge that may include formal presentations, publication, informal discussions and the development of best practice guidelines and policies
- Acts as a change agent through exploration of new ways to improve care, to seek effective new ways to practice, and to positively influence the organization to benefit the public and to influence health policy
- Provides leadership for the establishment and implementation of goals related to nursing practice
- Participates in decision-making process regarding decisions which impact on nursing practice at all levels
- Contributes to program, departmental and/or organizational strategic planning Adheres to hospital standards, policies and procedures
- Participates in Quality Management, including Clinical Resource Management activities Monitors and ensures the quality of health care practices, education and research at
- HMC and beyond by providing leadership in the establishment and development of standards, policies and procedures
- Advocates for, and participates in, creating an organizational environment that supports safe patient care, collaborative practice and professional growth
- Creates and maintains proctor agreements, clinical practice guidelines, clinical protocols as necessary to support clinical practice
- Provides leadership and participates in professional organizations Participates on hospital/departmental committees
- Participates in continuing education activities
- Accountable to align activities and performance with strategic goals and objectives of HMC
- Advocates to influence health care practice, policy and outcomes
- Maintains knowledge of current legislative and regulatory issues related to advanced nursing practice