Contributes to the provision of safe, patient and family focused quality care. Advocates for patients and staff in the absence of Nursing Executive. Represents Nursing Administration during evenings, nights and weekends. Responsible for the supervision of nursing units. Facilitates continuity of established nursing practice/comprehensive nursing care delivery. Supports and upholds objectives of Nursing and Hospital Administration and positively promotes Nursing Affairs across organization. Contributes to the successful achievement of the Nursing Affairs strategic goals.
Education / Qualification Required:
- BS Degree in Nursing
- Associate Degree/Diploma in Nursing
- Minimum Four (4) years of experience in Nursing Supervision
- Minimum Two (2) years of experience in a Charge Nurse, Head Nurse of Assistant Head Nurse position preferred and or demonstrates leadership qualities during relief Charge Nurse assignment
Valid and in a good Standing License in current country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a clinical and management resource and professional role model for staff
- Ensures appropriate utilization of nursing resources
- Confers with charge person regarding patient acuity and/or staffing changes required.
- Determines staffing changes and approves overtime to provide for unplanned situations
- Refers unit-specific occurrences or incidents to Head Nurse and Nursing Administration for follow up
- Provides input to Head Nurse for staff performance evaluations.
- Advises, counsels and disciplines staff as required or requested
- Participates on Nursing and/or Hospital-wide committees
- Responds to Code Green, Fire and Disaster Drills
- Coordinates with other departments as required
- Prepares reports and maintains records
- Observes and evaluates nursing care effectiveness on shift and communicates identified issued to Head Nurse or Program Director
- Participates in the promotion and maintenance of effective communication and teamwork.
- Treats colleagues, patients, and visitors with dignity and respect at all times.
- Actively welcomes new staff/students to the assigned area and participates in retention activities.
- Contributes to the retention of all staff to meet the assigned area specific turnover rate goal.
- Participates in retention activities.
- Demonstrates collaborative multi-disciplinary partnerships working towards the achievements of constant improvement in quality patient care and the smooth running of out of hours operations.
- Acts as an advocate for patients and families.
- Identifies ideas that will improve the quality of patient care and issues that will negatively impact on patient care outcomes, using the professional practice framework.
- Participates through team working and collaborative partnerships in identifying and implementing solutions through evidence based practice or research to demonstrate improvements reflected in unit, divisional, organizational data and bench marks.
- Participates on Nursing and/or Hospital-wide committees.
- Develops and sustains own knowledge, skills and professional awareness and maintains a professional profile.
- Provides documented evidence of performance and maintenance of skills consistent with position.
- Contributes to the achievement of clinical quality outcome indicators and patient satisfaction.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities as assigned.
- Contributes to special projects/assignments linked to nursing strategic priorities and professional practice model.
- Promotes a safe environment and safe patient care by embracing a safety culture and identifying areas of risk to Supervisor.
- Complies with policies for personal and patient safety and for the prevention of healthcare associated infections.
- Participates in staff orientation aimed at developing competence and performance.
- Assists in maintaining a suitable learning environment and acts as a preceptor/mentor in the supervision and teaching of new staff to develop their competence.
- Participates in the development and evaluation of IPPs.
- Follow all Hospital related policies and procedures
- Participates in self and other’s education, training and development as applicable