Operating Room Charge Nurse
Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City (SSMC) Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City (SSMC)
Abu Dhabi , United Arab Emirates
Responsible to supervise the clinical activities of all nursing personnel in OR. He or she coordinates clinical activities along the multidisciplinary healthcare team. Maintains high quality nursing care for all patients and functions as a role model for all unit personnel. The Charge Nurse relieves unit manager as required.
Education / Qualification Required:
- Bachelor's of Science in Nursing
- Associate Degree from an accredited school of nursing
- Minimum Four (4) years of experience in Operating Room
- Minimum Two (2) years of experience in a Charge Nurse, Head Nurse of Assistant Head Nurse position preferred and or demonstrates leadership qualities during relief Charge Nurse assignment
Valid and in a good Standing License in current country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrates current ophthalmic, medical and surgical knowledge with ability to recognize and apply basic pathophysiology in the disease process. Possesses an in depth understanding of the nursing process and expertise in technical nursing skills
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required to coordinate, supervise and participate in clinical practice and resource management activities. Activities are implemented in a proactive and organized manner that indicated informed critical thinking skills and ability to prioritize
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required in recognizing potential emergency situations; code blue or other emergency situations are managed competently
- Upholds the standards of the International Councils for Nurses – Code of Ethics; Supports nursing staff in difficult ethical situations; seeks assistance from senior nursing management to deal with complex ethical and cultural issues
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills required to assume clinical supervision of the unit
- Demonstrates knowledge of Hospital wide service departments and communication systems
- Sets priorities and plans implementation of daily activity, ensures implementation is completed in a time organized manner following Hospital standards.
- Implements staff assignments based on surgical activity, staff skill-mix, educational activities, special assignments and fairness. Demonstrates continuous evaluation and modification of work plans as indicated
- Directs and supervises clinical activities; supports the RN in clinical decisions for nursing diagnosis and care planning for special needs and high risk patients. Services as a resource for P&P standards, correct use and operation of equipment. Acts as a role model through delivery of direct patient care during peak activity periods, for staff development needs and during emergency situations
- Reviews the planned operating schedule with consideration to special needs. Ensures adequate preparation of all intra operative patient and surgical requirements. Informs the
- Holding Area or Central Desk as necessary of any concerns and actions taken
- Plans patient care needs based on clinical data and assessment findings. Coordinates patient care needs among the multidisciplinary team. Communicated with Medical Ophthalmic and Anesthesia physicians as required
- Coordinates implementation of physician’s orders ensures currency of preference cards through regular audit process. Reviews utilization of equipment, instruments and supplies and
- makes recommendation for adjustment in support of outcomes
- Informs the Unit Manager of unit activities, unusual events, actual and potential patient problems, and provides supporting documentation as required. Coordinates shift change and unit after hour staffing to ensure continuity of care and communication
- Evaluates patient care on an on-going basis. Conducts clinical practice review sessions to evaluate perioperative processes and patient care issues
- Documentation is informative and complete and follows Hospital standards. Patient records and reviews for deficiencies per unit protocols
- Plans and develops staffing schedules; schedule’s reflect appropriate numbers, skill-mix, education activities, special assignment and requests. Coordinates staff rotation with Charge
- Nurse Colleagues and submits completed schedule (3) months prior to commencement
- Coordinates new employee orientation. Assesses staff strengths and development needs. Participates in staff performance appraisal. Shares knowledge and skills, coordinates in services and educational activities. Implements counseling and corrective action following discussion with the Unit Manager.
- Contributes as a unit management team member. Participates in the unit promotion group to RN I positions. Attends unit management meetings to review clinical and resource management issues, submits regular unit activity report. Attends ad-hoc Charge Nurse meetings with Nursing Administration
- Ensures adequate levels of equipment and supplies are available
- Maintains awareness for cost effectiveness. Checks unit quality control systems, unit and equipment maintenance, property control and medical storage systems on a regular basis
- Performs all duties in a professional, effective and confidential manner. Performs all other duties as required or assigned.
- Participates in department-wide performance improvement activities; applies quality management strategies in unit/area; initiates investigation in to areas of concern and action for improvement
- Participates in revision of policies, procedures and systems, participates in JCIA mock surveys; collects and reports on unit based and service wide performance indicators
- Participates in nursing and surgical services research/data collection activities coordinates changes to practice based on evidence based research; encourages staff to continually update knowledge of current nursing/technical research and practice
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. As per our agreement with hospitals we recruit for, we can only work with candidates who obtained their qualifications and experience from: US, Canada, Western Europe, Australia & New Zealand.