Senior Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager – OR Perioperative
The Senior Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager – OR Perioperative is accountable for the implementation of the vision, mission, and values of SSMC and the Department of Nursing within OR Perioperative areas of practice. The nurse manager plans, directs, coordinates, and evaluates the operational, fiscal, and personnel activities within OR Perioperative areas of practice to ensure the provision of quality patient care 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The nurse manager contributes to the strategic planning process and attainment of the goals of the organization.
Senior Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager – OR Perioperative is responsible for one or more patient care units based on unit/area complexity and size of the practice. The nurse manager’s 24/7 practice advocates for and allocates available resources to promote efficient, effective, safe, and compassionate nursing care based on current standards of practice. The Senior Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager is responsible for the total work unit budget. The Senior Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager promotes shared decision-making on the unit level. The Senior Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager collaborates with the dyad and triad partners from operations and medical team for the assigned unit to ensure smooth running of the unit.
- BS Degree in Nursing OR
- Degree in Nursing (minimum 2 years course duration) and Registration as a Registered Nurse from Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia
Certificate of the postgraduate diploma in nursing or Healthcare or administration field
- NLT 8 years clinical experience in appropriate & relevant healthcare settings post qualification
- NLT2 year in Senior Charge Nurse (S. C.N.) position, OR NLT 3 years in a Charge Nurse Position.
International accreditation experience.
Valid and in a good Standing License in current country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to the Standards of Practice for Nursing Administration within the Department of Nursing, assigned unit, and administrative and medical partnerships.
- Assists and works in partnership with the nursing executive in setting the strategic direction for the nursing/midwifery department
- Collaborates with the senior nursing leadership to ensure efficient healthcare delivery
- Collects comprehensive data pertinent to issues, situations or trends related to the assigned unit.
- Analyzes assessment data to determine the issues, problems, or trends.
- Identifies expected outcomes for a plan individualized to the situation.
- Develops and implement strategies and alternatives to attain expected outcomes.
- Coordinates multidisciplinary healthcare resources.
- Employs strategies to foster health promotion, health teaching, and the provision of other educational services and resources and evaluates progress toward attainment of outcomes
- Provides consultation to influence the identified plan, enhance the abilities of others, and effect change.
- Enhances the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice and the delivery of services.
- Collaborates with all levels of nursing staff, interdisciplinary teams, executive leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Integrates ethical provisions and research findings in all areas of practice.
- Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost, and impact on practice in the planning and delivery of nursing services.
- Advocates for the protections and rights of individuals, families, communities, populations, healthcare providers, nursing, and other professions especially related to health and safety.
- Demonstrates leadership skills in the development of human resources.
- Manages staff performance including annual evaluation, goal setting, performance development, “crucial conversations,” corrective action and disciplinary processes, and termination.
- Provides staff development including staff education, programming, and competency assessment.
- Develops the leadership capacity of staff through succession planning.
- Role models behaviors in leadership and serving as a mentor.
- Nurse Manager influences behaviors and manages relationships by maintaining an environment of fairness and supporting processes.
- Advocates shared decision-making and implements the structure, and processes for shared governance.
- Demonstrates awareness of healthcare economics and financial stewardship that applies to patient care delivery including reimbursement, managed care, and key legislative initiatives at all levels.
- Forecasts unit/work area revenue and expenditure and interprets financial information.
- Demonstrates understanding of the concepts related to capital budgeting.
- Demonstrates understanding of institution’s and departmental recruitment and marketing strategies.
a. Facilitates effective interviewing skills and techniques when recruiting new staff.
b. Demonstrates awareness of hiring policies and procedures and pertinent labor laws.
c. Ensures development and implementation of new employee orientation.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff.
- Facilitates application of quality improvement tools to improve unit and facility systems, processes, and services.
- Demonstrates understanding of organizational behaviors and application of skills essential in influencing nursing practice.
- Optimize the effect of informatics technology on patient care and delivery systems to reduce workload and uses information systems to support business decisions.
- Develops and participates in project planning related to nursing practice or area of responsibility.
- Develops an operational plan including tactics that support and move the unit/department to accomplish the strategic plan.
- Uses persuasion skills and oral and written skills effectively in presenting the strategic plan.
- Develops individual leadership strengths including problem-solving, promoting shared leadership, and practicing reflection.
- Participates in committees, and task forces that are interdisciplinary or interdepartmental; may be required to chair, co-chair, or lead such groups.
- Performs clinical rounds to assess, identify problems, determine solutions and guide teams in the clinical and operational management of services.
- Monitors and supports the Organizational Key Performance Indicators and Clinical Indicators and reinforces corrective action to improve clinical service.
- Manages effective and efficient utilization of human resources, consumables, and equipment.
- Contributes to the wider organizational development needs as appropriate within the scope of practice.
- Accountable for the unit budget preparation, forecasting, workforce planning and overseeing operational issues.
- Oversees and works with teams for audit recommendations and is accountable for audit results and improvements
- Accountable for the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice in their assigned services to make improvements as required.
- Evaluates the quality standards of nursing documentation and ensure compliance with organizational policy and standards.
- Ensures that the nurse administrator receives appropriate and timely information, necessary to fulfill the departmental and organization’s strategic and operational plans.
- Maintains patient and environmental risk assessments and documents corrective actions to improve patient outcomes as required.
- Facilitates reporting of incidents occurring within the Organization by proper coordination and facilitating corrective action taken.
- Initiates action and reports to the appropriate manager, when staff behavior and/or performance does not meet professional standards
- Evaluates one’s own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules, and regulations.
- Attains knowledge and competency that reflects current nursing practice.
- Maintains awareness of regulatory requirements and monitors to meet compliance.
- Reports incidents as appropriate that affect patient and staff safety.
- Provides senior nursing leadership with clinical and administrative reports
- Ensures patient care areas have the necessary equipment, supplies, and staffing available for the delivery of safe and effective patient care.