Staff Nurse Operating Room – Opthalmology
Responsible to assist in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients with various eye diseases and injuries. They often assist with eye exams, record symptoms and perform vision tests.
Education / Qualification Required:
- BS Degree in Nursing or Equivalent from Accredited University obtained through personal attending study method (not distant learning or on-line study method)
- Minimum Two (2) years of experience on a OR Ophthalmology Unit.
- Current and in good Standing Nursing License/Registration (RN) to practice in country of residence
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides total patient care as assigned according to the core standards of patient care and established policies and evidence-based practices.
- Assumes accountability for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care as well as discharge planning for each patient.
- Contributes to decreasing the length of stay/waiting time as per unit specific goal. Works in collaboration with Charge Nurse to achieve goals.
- Documents all relevant information correctly, appropriately, and in a timely manner.
- Reports equipment failures, safety and security issues, and/or reduction of supply inventory to Head Nurse or designee.
- Demonstrates collaborative multi-disciplinary partnerships working towards the achievements of constant improvement in quality patient care.
- Acts as an advocate for patients and families.
- Identifies ideas that will improve the quality of patient care and issues that will negatively affect patient care outcomes, using the professional practice framework.
- Promotes a safe environment and safe patient care by embracing a safety culture and identifying areas of risk to head nurse or designee.
- Complies with policies for personal and patient safety and for the prevention of healthcare associated infections.
- Contributes to the achievement of cost efficiency savings on unit.
- Maintains an awareness of resource utilization, exercising care in the ordering and use of staff, equipment, and materials.
- Contributes to the achievement of clinical quality outcome indicators and patient satisfaction.
- Leads unit based Performance Improvement activities as assigned.
- Participates in new staff/nursing student orientation aimed at developing competence and performance.
- Assists in maintaining a suitable learning environment and acts as a preceptor/mentor in the supervision and teaching of nursing students and new staff to develop their competence.
- Demonstrates transcultural principles in nursing practice.
- Contributes to special projects/assignments linked to nursing strategic priorities and professional practice model as assigned.
- Assists in promoting and sharing knowledge via mentorship in line with relevant research and evidence based practice.
- Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
- Participates in self and other’s education, training and development, as applicable.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.