Charge Nurse Stroke Unit
Responsible for directing and overseeing the daily activities of the unit on an assigned shift to assure successful safe delivery of care. The Charge Nurse is a caregiver and often takes modified patient care assignment.
Education / Qualification Required:
- BS Degree in Nursing from North America, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Minimum Four (4) years of experience in Stroke Unit
Minimum One (1) year of experience in a Charge Nurse, Head Nurse of Assistant Head Nurse position preferred and or demonstrates leadership qualities during relief Charge Nurse assignment
- Valid and in a good Standing License in current country of practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act on behalf of/or at the direction of the Head Nurse on setting standards and expectation in the quality of care
- Determine nursing priorities and plans patients care according to staff availability
- Establish and develop effective communication with all discipline, patients and relatives
- Demonstrate effective communication by defining rationale for assignments reporting problem or concerns to the Head of Nurse and serving liaison with other department
- Ensure that all SSMC and Nursing policies and procedures are adhered to
- Collaborate with Head Nurse to obtain necessary human and material resources
- Ensure that support staff allocated to the ward/department is given appropriate teaching, support and guidance in accordance with ward objective and SSMC policies and procedures.
- Reports any matter concern to the appropriate line managers
- Support/assist the Head Nurse in the establishment of a good working atmosphere and in making the most effective/efficient use of staff, supplies and services
- Make decisions and conveys appropriately to team members
- Ensure that infection control procedures are being adhered to and followed in accordance with infection control policies
- Ensure that accurate collection of date in relation to patients’ activity in order that statistics maybe accurately complied
- Ensure patient and staff confidentiality
- Understand and participate in the procedures of ordering supplies according to patient acuity
- Keep him/herself up to date with information technology system in the SSMC
- Develop and awareness of budgeting, exercising care and economic in the ordering and use of supplies and equipment
- Assist and maintain a pleasant/harmonious unit atmosphere to ensure a clean safe working environment
- Maintain patient records accurately and promptly in accordance with policies and procedures
- Participate in direct patient care working as a team member and promote highest standards of evidence-based practice
- Direct support staff as appropriate in the provision of care of the patient providing supervision as necessary
- Assign and coordinate patient care and related duties
- Coordinate patient admission/discharge/transfer arrangement.
- Arrange for continuing outpatient services and arrange home care referral as needed
- Triage patient problems as necessary
Participate fully in the multi-disciplinary patient records and advise as necessary
- Maintain patient record accurately and promptly in accordance with policies and procedures
- Assist in safeguarding the welfare and safety of patients and other staff by being aware of: Health & Safety at work, Fire Prevention & Management, Infection Control Procedure
- Participate in the introduction and orientation of all new members of staff and student nurses to the ward/department routines
- Act as a preceptor/mentor in the support and development of nursing of staff and students as a facilitator in the supervision and teaching of all nursing staff.
- Take responsibility for own professional growth and keep up-to-date with professional change, development and accountability.
- Assist in promoting nursing staff and contribute to teaching and training if staff in accordance with the Saudization plan
- Assist in the creation of a pleasant unit atmosphere and a clean safe environment
- Contribute to setting standards and monitoring of measurable standard of care and be accountable for maintaining the standards
- Uphold quality initiatives that improve “Customer Care” and enhance the interface between staff, patients, families and visitors
- Ensure the role of the nurse is handling complaints, according to Continuous Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (CQI&PS) department policies and procedures
- Assist in establishing and monitoring protocols and pathways
- Assist in identifying and reporting accidents and incidents
- Perform other applicable tasks and duties assigned within the realm of the employee’s knowledge, skills and abilities