Charge Nurse Surgical ICU
Responsible to provide critical care to patients with potentially life-threatening heart conditions. They must observe changes in their patients, analyze charts, change bandages, and communicate effectively with doctors and health care professionals.
Education / Qualification Required:
- BS Degree in Nursing from North America, Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Minimum Four (4) years of experience in Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Minimum Two (2) years of experience in a Charge Nurse, Head Nurse of Assistant Head Nurse position preferred and or demonstrates leadership qualities during relief Charge Nurse assignment
Current and clean license to practice as a Registered Nurse
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides total patient care as assigned according to the core standards of patient care and established policies and evidence-based practices.
- Assumes accountability for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care as well as discharge planning for each patient.
- Contributes to decreasing the length of stay/waiting time as per unit specific goal. Works in collaboration with Case Management to achieve goals.
- Documents all relevant information correctly, appropriately, and in a timely manner.
- Reports equipment failures, safety and security issues, and/or reduction of supply inventory to Head Nurse or designee.
- Demonstrates collaborative multi-disciplinary partnerships working towards the achievements of constant improvement in quality patient care.
- Acts as an advocate for patients and families.
- Identifies ideas that will improve the quality of patient care and issues that will negatively affect patient care outcomes, using the professional practice framework.
- Promotes a safe environment and safe patient care by embracing a safety culture and identifying areas of risk to head nurse or designee.
- Complies with policies for personal and patient safety and for the prevention of healthcare associated infections.
- Contributes to the achievement of cost efficiency savings on unit.
- Maintains an awareness of resource utilization, exercising care in the ordering and use of staff, equipment, and materials.
- Contributes to the achievement of clinical quality outcome indicators and patient satisfaction.
- Leads unit based Performance Improvement activities as assigned.
- Participates in new staff/nursing student orientation aimed at developing competence and performance.
- Assists in maintaining a suitable learning environment and acts as a preceptor/mentor in the supervision and teaching of nursing students and new staff to develop their competence.
- Demonstrates trans cultural principles in nursing practice.
- Contributes to special projects/assignments linked to nursing strategic priorities and professional practice model as assigned.
- Assists in promoting and sharing knowledge via mentorship in line with relevant research and evidence based practice.
- Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
- Participates in self and other s education, training and development, as applicable.
- Performs other related duties as assigned