Clinical Resource Nurse Labor & Delivery
Responsible for assists new mothers throughout the birthing process. They monitor new mothers and infants for possible complications with delivery and may continue to provide care for patients during the days that follow the birth.
Facilitates the provision of exceptional patient driven care and staff empowerment in a wellness environment aligned with the organizations leadership standards of practice, namely integrity, leadership development, performance, professional and ethical behavior, communication, collaboration and professional commitment. Works towards quality nursing outcomes. Supports a patient centered approach to care based on high standards of best practice, providing clinical support, education and skill development, through formal preceptorship and mentorship for nurses on assigned units(s).
Education / Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Nursing
- Minimum Four (4) years of clinical nursing with experience in specialty
Valid and in a good Standing License in current country or practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a resource to staff and student for patient care related skills and knowledge.
- Attends handover at shift commencement and designs daily educational/mentorship activities as required.
- Maintains high visibility (clinical presence) in area of responsibility and is easily accessible to staff.
- Supports the transition needs of newly recruited / transferred / cross-trained staff.
- Ensures staff are orientated and competent in the care of patients on the unit and in relation to equipment, processes and procedures.
- Respects and safeguards confidentiality of information related to patients, family, staff, learners and position-privileged information to promote a patient-centered care culture.
- Is involved with educational activities in the unit, which includes unit meetings, debriefing and simulation of workflow process.
- Is accountable for utilizing the nursing process, appropriate tools, evidence based knowledge, empathy and compassion in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care for individual patients, while considering the individuals holistic needs and in accordance with scope of practice, hospital policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills, including critical thinking, necessary to implement the
- nursing plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures, as necessary for the care of the individual patient taking into consideration the patient’s condition, culture and medical plan of care.
- Advocates for patient by guiding best practice and standards of care within multidisciplinary team.
- Reports any deterioration in patient’s condition to physician, escalating via chain of command as necessary.
- Works towards reducing length of stay by advocating commencing discharge planning on admission.
- Is an advocate for patient safety, minimizes patient risk by ensuring a safe environment and conditions.
- Follows all policies and procedures, reporting observed or perceived risks in a timely fashion
- Suggests opportunities for improvement in care and in care environment.
- Uses transcultural awareness during all interactions with patients, families and colleagues.
- Works effectively with multidisciplinary team towards safe, effective and efficient patient outcomes.
- Maintains patient confidentiality according to policy.
- Ensures appropriate delegation of any duties when necessary.
- Takes appropriate action in emergencies.
- Documents all care accurately, completely and in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrates the computer skills necessary for carrying out duties.
- Refers staff and students performance concerns to Head Nurse.
- Participates in the formulation of a unit philosophy, goals, objective and nursing standards.
- Is a good role model, upholds high standards of professional conduct in relation to patients, their families, colleagues and all other members of multi-disciplinary team.
- Is visible and available to the team and in the clinical area.
- Plays an active role in all accreditation processes.
- Completes assigned responsibilities within established hospital, divisional and unit specific guidelines, policies and procedures, standards, protocols.
- Practices within the legal guidelines and ethical expectations of the nursing profession.
- Advises and supports staff in developing their professional roles and skills.
- Fosters a positive environment that enables all staff to work effectively.
- Supports staff retention including Saudization and a healthy work environment.
- Coaches, mentors, and is a role model to selected nurses that will become future Clinical Resource Nurses, as well as nursing students.
- Maintains all records and databases pertaining to education in assigned units and generates reports as required.
- Plans and conducts training sessions for nurses in their area of assignment based on the learning needs analysis for the unit.
- Responsible to assess nursing staff in generic and unit specific competencies in the assigned clinical and ensure that assessment tools are evidence based.
- Provides clear and constructive feedback to nurses and provides remediation and guidance as required to improve performance.
- Provides transparent and timeous feedback to head nurse regarding nursing staff clinical performance.
- Actively participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of unit-based orientation of
- new and transferred employees.
- Collaborates in the identification of staff readiness for additional responsibilities i.e. preceptor for students/staff, mentors and charge nurse duties.
- Addresses learning needs of staff that arise from NDNQI data trends and safety events and structures teaching sessions and practical activities to meet these needs.
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to provide learning opportunities for staff as required.
- Coordinates the unit-based Code Mock Drills relevant to the unit (one per month) with respective team.
- Assesses the need for ongoing staff education related to changes in current treatments and practices.
- Facilitates the integration of theory and practice by demonstrating skills to nursing staff and students at the patient’s bedside.
- Actively participates in the Nurse Intern program in collaboration with the Nursing Education Department.
- Oversees the allocation and attendance of nursing students that are allocated to the unit and communicates concerns to the head of the Nursing Education Unit.
- Ensures, together with the head nurse that suitable preceptors are allocated for students and that learning outcomes are achieved as per the student requirements.
- Manages nursing students performance by providing teaching and learning opportunities and involving them in the educational activities of the unit.
- Supports and participates in risk management and quality improvement programs with a view to improve patient care.
- Maintains and develops own clinical expertise and keeps up to date with professional change and growth.
- Participates in continued educational activities.
- Assesses and identifies learning needs of staff and students and develops learning plans in conjunction with the head nurse of the unit, Nursing Education and Faculty.
- Maintains documentation related to staff and students development needs and action plans
- Assists in planning, implementing and evaluating skills development programs for staff/students in coordination with head nurse and Nursing Education Unit and Faculty.
- Demonstrates effective communication and collaboration skills when interacting with patients/families, other health care team members and members of other departments.
- Collaborates with Bio-med in providing staff with training on new equipment and completing the equipment competency assessments for the staff.
- Assists in training nursing staff in the use of existing and new equipment and ensuring that competency assessments are completed.
- Supports and encourages unit based research initiatives and encourages staff participation in these activities.
- Participate in research activities as appropriate and completes the delegated tasks within the timeframes.
- Collaborates with the nursing research department to assist in designing research programs.
- Ensures that unit is utilizing best practice and up to date evidence based tools and resources.
- Respects patients and their families to promote a patient-centered care culture.
- Participates and supports quality improvement and patient safety activities as an individual or as part of multidisciplinary teams.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.