Senior Specialty Nurse – Pain
Responsible in helping patients deal with acute and chronic pain. Patients dealing with pain must be given the proper amount of medication in order to provide relief, without putting the patient in danger.
Leads a high standard of evidence based, safe patient and family focused care for a specified patient population across the continuum of care, in a wellness environment aligned with our leadership standards of practice, namely; integrity, leadership development, performance, professional and ethical behavior, communication, collaboration and professional commitment. Is involved in research and education related to specialty.
Education / Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Nursing
- OR Associate Degree/Diploma or country equivalent + Bachelor’s in Nursing related field
- Minimum Six (6) years of experience as a Registered Nurse at a large acute-care/tertiary teaching hospital, including a minimum Two (2) years of current, full-time experience in as specializing in Pain Management
Valid and in a good Standing License in current country or practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is accountable for utilizing the nursing process, appropriate tools, evidence based knowledge, empathy and compassion in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care for individual patients, while considering the individuals holistic needs and in accordance with scope of practice, hospital policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills, including critical thinking, necessary to implement the nursing plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures, as necessary for the care of the individual patient taking into consideration the patient’s condition, culture and medical plan of care.
- Obtains health history, performs specialty focused clinical examination, and obtains tests related to area of specialization within scope of practice. Develops implements and evaluates patient plan of care.
- Performs investigations based on specialty knowledge, skills and privileges within scope of practice.
- Utilizes expertise to recommend/provide plan of care including expert clinical care, patient and family education, counseling, follow-up, discharge plan in collaboration with primary consultant and multidisciplinary team.
- Utilizes expertise to consult and / or collaborate as necessary with primary consultant and multidisciplinary team towards the holistic provision of high quality care, including referral to other services as appropriate and in accordance with plan of care.
- Evaluates plan of care and patients progress in a timely manner, adjusts plan of care in accordance with evaluation.
- Ensures all relevant information and plan of care is documented completely, clearly, concisely and in a timely manner, in accordance with hospital policy. Reviews and updates all appropriate information at each visit.
- Acts as the patients advocate.
- Builds therapeutic relationships with patient and family.
- Works towards a high quality of patient experience and satisfaction.
- Implements evidence based protocols for patient care.
- Is involved in Nurse-Led Clinics based on specialty, skills, competencies and privileges within scope of practice.
- Promotes a high level of communication and collaborative skills at all times.
- Provides/facilitates patient-centered care in a culture of safety and quality, reporting any risks. Works at all times towards a high standard of patient experience, including ensuring the most efficient and effective patient flow standards are implemented and maintained.
- Participates actively in nursing committees/task forces and in multidisciplinary team meetings.
- Facilitates/is involved in data collection, analysis and bench marking, leads/facilitates performance improvement and quality initiatives towards the improvement in quality of care and program effectiveness and efficiency including cost benefit.
- Is involved in the review and evaluation of resources for specialty practice across organization.
- Facilitates the development of unit/ program guidelines and policies and procedures towards evidence based patient care.
- Prepares and presents reports related to organizational strategic priorities and performance indicators for position.
- Is involved in staff retention activities, role models behavior to ensure staff satisfaction in work environment.
- Facilitates the advancement of specialty practice across the organization.
- Works towards the organizations Saudization goals.
- Provides patient and family education and disease prevention and health promotion advise, facilitates the development of health promotion programs and patient education materials.
- Utilizes principles of adult learning and continuous professional development to develop, maintain, update knowledge and skills.
- Maintains own professional portfolio including evidence of skills development and competency for practice in position and to develop new knowledge and skills to facilitate innovations in theory and practice.
- Seeks educational opportunities for professional development.
- Mentors and coaches Specialty Practitioners.
- Facilitates the provision of formal and informal educational activities.
- Facilitates or leads public awareness and education initiatives.
- Is a resource for evidence-based practice within specialty.
- Actively disseminates evidence-based knowledge.
- Is involved in evidence based guideline development.
- Is involved in research activities.
- Promotes an atmosphere of enquiry.
- Is actively involved in Journal Club.
- Adheres to all hospital policies and procedures.
- Respects patients and their families to promote a patient-centered care culture.
- Participates and supports quality improvement and patient safety activities as an individual or as part of multidisciplinary teams.