Staff Nurse Emergency Medicine
Responsible for assesses patients when they arrive in the hospital and provides initial care to stabilize them. Emergency Room Nurses may fill out charts and intake papers, collect information and samples from patients, and identify patient needs to limit pain and discomfort.
Provides exceptional patient driven care and staff empowerment in a wellness environment aligned with organizational leadership standards of practice, namely integrity, leadership development, performance, professional and ethical behavior, communication, collaboration, and professional commitment. Utilizes the nursing process, hospital policies and procedures and scope of practice, to ensure compassionate, safe and effective patient care. Provides clinical oversight within the team for junior staff.
Education / Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Nursing
- Minimum Three (3) years of recent experience as an RN, of which the past year must be in ER
Valid and in a good Standing License in current country or practice
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is accountable for utilizing the nursing process, appropriate tools, evidence based knowledge, empathy and compassion in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care for individual patients, while considering the individuals holistic needs and in accordance with scope of practice, hospital policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills, including critical thinking, necessary to implement the nursing plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures, as necessary for the care of the individual patient taking into consideration the patient’s condition, culture and medical plan of care.
- Advocates for patient by guiding best practice and standards of care within multidisciplinary team.
- Reports any deterioration in patient’s condition to physician, escalating via chain of command as necessary.
- Works towards reducing length of stay by advocating commencing discharge planning on admission.
- Is an advocate for patient safety, minimizes patient risk by ensuring a safe environment and conditions.
- Follows all policies and procedures, reporting observed or perceived risks in a timely fashion
- Suggests opportunities for improvement in care and in care environment.
- Uses transcultural awareness during all interactions with patients, families and colleagues.
- Works effectively with multidisciplinary team towards safe, effective and efficient patient outcomes.
- Maintains patient confidentiality according to policy.
- Ensures appropriate delegation of any duties when necessary.
- Takes appropriate action in emergencies.
- Documents all care accurately, completely and in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrates the computer skills necessary for carrying out duties
- Utilizes leadership skills as nurse in charge of shift.
- Communicates effectively to ensure patient safety.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and follows all hospital related policies and procedures
- Reports potential or observed safety hazards immediately to supervisor, removes hazard or provides solution when possible.
- Reports any work-related risks such as equipment failures or resource insufficiencies to supervisor immediately.
- Uses communication and conflict negotiation skills to prevent and resolve complaints, reports through the chain of command as per hospital policy and procedure.
- Contributes to improving quality outcomes including patient and staff satisfaction indicators.
- Utilizes multidisciplinary team to ensure optimal patient experience.
- Exercises care in utilizing resources to maintain a cost efficient service.
- Actively participates in unit based meetings and councils.
- Supports a just culture, speaks up and promotes civility in the workplace.
- Educates and informs patients and families on the care and management of condition, to adapt a problem solving approach to managing and reporting complications.
- Provides health promotion and disease prevention advice.
- Participates in own and others education, training and professional development as needed.
- Shares appropriate, relevant and up to date information and knowledge with colleagues.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement that are evidence based.
- Maintains and shares up to date knowledge related to evidence based practice.
- Is involved in relevant projects related to practice, improvement and safety.
- Is actively involved in unit journal club.
- Respects patients and their families and promotes a patient-centered care culture.
- Participates and supports quality improvement and patient safety activities as an individual or as part of multidisciplinary teams.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.